Catskill trail closings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
The following trails have been closed:

Windham High Peak Wild Forest - A portion of the Escarpment trail is
closed from the Elm Ridge Lean-to to the trail's junction with the Black
Dome Trail, which is between Burnt Knob and Acra Point.

Hunter Mountain Wild Forest - The upper section of the Spruceton trail is
closed between Deming Notch and Hunter Mountain. The Hunter trail is
closed between the summit of Hunter Mountain and the Devils Acre lean-to.

Indian Head-Plateau Mountain Wilderness - The Devils Path trail is closed
between Plateau Mountain and Indian Head Mountain.

Signs will be posted at appropriate trailheads alerting hikers to the
hazardous conditions and trail closures. The department anticipates that
the trails will be re-opened by Memorial Day weekend.

The Departments website has been updated to reflect these closures.

For more information about the trail closures, contact Frank Parks or Paul
Trotta at the Stamford DEC office at (607) 652-7365 or e-mail Frank at
[email protected]. state.ny. us.

Tom Rankin said:
Indian Head-Plateau Mountain Wilderness - The Devils Path trail is closed
between Plateau Mountain and Indian Head Mountain.
:eek:
That's a pretty good length of trail-two entire high peaks in there!

I've been lazy about checking the 3500 Club yahoo group. Tom, has there been any discussion there or anywhere else you know of regarding the plans for coordinating the trailwork necessary to clean all this up?

Matt

mcorsar said:
:eek:
That's a pretty good length of trail-two entire high peaks in there!

I've been lazy about checking the 3500 Club yahoo group. Tom, has there been any discussion there or anywhere else you know of regarding the plans for coordinating the trailwork necessary to clean all this up?

Matt
Yes, Ellie was posting notes about it over on the 3500 board.

pudgy_groundhog said:
What happened to the trails? Thanks for posting the info.
Snow and ice storms from last week. Not sure exactly where you live, but there were record floods down low in the Hudson Valley region.

Snow and ice storms from last week. Not sure exactly where you live, but there were record floods down low in the Hudson Valley region.
Yep, well aware of the floods (thank goodness we have a solid foundation and our land is such that it drains nicely). Just wasn't sure what specifically happened to the trails -- are there lots of trees down?

There must have been very heavy wet snow and ice, followed by big time wind. The tree tops are snapped off, some still hanging dangerously, and plenty on the ground. It took me almost 6 hours from end of Spruceton rd to the 3400 ft view (on way to SW Hunter), and back to the parking area. The plan was for SW Hunter, Hunter, and Rusk. Wasn't happening.

So are they just recommending you don't use the trails or are they telling you their too dangerous for you to travel on them and won't let you on them?

Just curious why this would cause the trail to be closed? It sounds like they have some blowdowns? Is it more than that?

Just trying to understand.
Keith

I'm not sure if its " keep out" or just a warning , but there are thousands of widow makers hung up and it is very dangerous in spots. Bushwacking around sections could push you into some bad spots on the ledges and cause alot of damage off trail.
In some areas I would estimate 90% of the trees have significant damage.

I agree with Mudhook, it's really for everyone's own good. Some trails are impossbile to follow, and I've read some horror stories on other boards, including *very* experienced hikers losing the trail and having to bushwhack down to the road as it got dark. There is still lots of snow up high, at least as of a few days ago.

Avoiding hiking in these closed locations will keep herd paths from forming that will only confuse the going later.

The DEC is working to clear the trails, but it will take a while. There are also efforts underway to recruit volunteers to help out.

Hint, hint!!! :D

I remember a storm in the early nineties that took down huge swaths of red oak and maple on Peekamoose. It was a disaster, and forever changed the trail. I can imagine how much damage this storm did.

Thanks for posting the closures, hopefully people will keep off the trails, unless they are volunteering to help clean up. The Cats are pretty fragile.

I went this weekend and hiked up Race Brook falls in MA to the AT and then south over Mt Race and Bear Mt to underhill in the Taconics rather than my planned LP hike in the Catskills..... Postponed that..

A widowmaker, from my understanding has history in forrest logging... When lumberjacks would fell tall trees in the woods, as the trees would fall, sometimes large branches or even the very tops of these tall trees would get caught up in the treetops of other trees in the area... Then a gust of wind or just randomness, they would fall, by unlucky chance, hitting some other lumberjack (typically male) and killing him, hence the name "widowmaker"..

Jay

Was on Balsam Lake & Graham yesterday. Balsam Lake not too bad, some blowdown, some snapped trees, only a couple I would call large enough to be widowmakers. Graham had a lot more downed, maybe 6-10 widowmakers but upper section was spent maybe 30% of the time going around, through or over branches