How far from Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Lake (Maine)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriFly

Reaction score
Hey there folks. My dad (retired) and I want to go on a camping / canoeing trip from Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Lake House this Summer. How long would that take (straight through, but at a leisurely pace)? Also, does anyone know how long the section of Penobscot River is that connects Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Lake?

Thanks in advance.

-BriFly

West Branch

I forget the mileage, but we did it in two leisurely days, stopping overnight at Big Island. It's a great trip.

Fitz said:
I forget the mileage, but we did it in two leisurely days, stopping overnight at Big Island. It's a great trip.

Wow. So it only took you two days to go from Big Island to Chesuncook Lake House at a leisurely pace? I thought it would have been more like 3 or 4 days. My Dad was thinking we would do it in 6 days (with a day or two of staying put to relax and fish). Now I'm wondering if 4 or 5 days would be plenty (?).

-BriFly

Chesuncook

NO - it took us 2 Leisurely Days to go from Ogden Point on Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Lake House (actually we preferred the accommodations on Gero Island which is another mile or so, but that is just us ;) ) (you ain't walking - you're in a canoe!!). We were done paddling both days shortly after lunch.

In the spring and early summer, the Penobscot pulls you along at 3 or 4 mph without dipping a paddle! Sit back and enjoy a cold one - at least until the damm(n)ed waters of Chesuncook slow the massive river.

Add another day or so to make your way down the lake to Chesuncook Dam/Rip Dam if you please.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yes, a night or two would do it. We did a number of trips from Northeast Carry to Chesuncook lake, with a side trip to Lobster Lake, and we spent 1 or 2 nights in between.

Chesuncook village is an intersting place to vist. Hopefully it hasn't changed too much since the road was put in. During our early visits the only access was by water.

Gero island is also great, but watch the wind! We were wind-swept there for two days. In many ways it feels like the ocean, complete with exposed cobblestone beach when the lake is low. Definitely plan some extra time to allow for the wind.

If you want to extend your adventure, continue upstream to Mud Pond Carry and portage over into the Alagash!

Easy 2 day

I agree, an easy 2 day paddle to Chesuncook, with many great camp sites along the way. I also agree with the wind, we paddled north from Gero Island on a relatively calm day and luckily with the wind at our backs we were riding 2-3 ft swells. It is defiantly a great rip, I want to go back.