The Bonds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Ok, I've formulated a plan to get the Bonds and I want to put this out there to see if anyone wants to be included.

There is no set date. I will just be watching the weather and going for it when the window of opportunity opens.

The plan:
1. Wait for weather window that coincides with day off.
2. Drive over and camp at Hancock.
3. Get up four am and begin long day.

The route:
Wilderness Trail to Bondcliff Trail grabbing all Bonds including West....then back. If the weather looks crappy for the return, stay at Guyot with minimal pack.

Mileage:
22.2 miles

I'm estimating trail hours to be 16, moderate paced, continous hiking with probably a five minute break each hour, more if the timing allows along with taking in the beatiful views on summits and along the way..I just really want to get this done, and would like to set a strong goal from the beginning.

If anyone is crazy enough to want to be added to my email list, please pm me with your email. Terra will be along for the hike.

Sabrina

I wouldn't expect it to take that long, there are ten miles of very flat terrain at the beginning and end that will go by relatively quickly. I'd guess more like 12-13 hours. If you bring running shoes and stash them at the Bondcliff junction, your feet will be very happy on the way out.

-dave-

Thanks, Dave, others have also expressed that I'm probably overestimating the time. I was initially thinking of walking through to the Twinway and hitting Galehead, then Twin Brook/Lincoln Brook making this a big 29 mile loop, but I think I'd probably crap out on the last few miles, and not be able to make the drive back to Vermont that night.

Thanks for the pms, everyone. Hoping to have this come together in the next four weeks.

:)

I managed (survived) the loop you are thinking about last fall in about 15 hours. The drive home is miserable & while the Twin Brook is pretty easy & the others are flat, calling it a slog is being kind. (I did the Franconia's & Galehead in Spring with the same escape, a slog is really too kind.

Getting up to Bondcliff except for a couple of spots might be the easiest 8.8 mile hike there is (if a 17.6 mile RT can be termed easy) I'd go with the time Dave mnetioned. Last year I was on Bond in less than five hours & I usually don't go too fast uphill.

My friends and I did Bond, West Bond, Bondcliff, Zealand and Guyot on the same day, but we stayed at the Zealand Hut that night. We started at the Zealand Hut side and then back tracked. It would be good to spot a car and go straight through, but that takes alot of effort. We did it under 12 hours and I think it was around 22-23 miles.
Post what day you decide to go and maybe I'll join you.
Skibones

I'm hoping to do that area this June in good weather, so maybe I'll see you on the trails.

Hi Sabrina ,
Just doing the bonds is fun and if you are like me a view junkie you might want ot just do the bonds it is tought to become motivated to leave a nice view . ona nice day . I would look at itas a easy walk out to havea good dinner after .

I'm a bit limited for time, have to get back to VT that night for dog care relief. Otherwise, I'd opt for an overnighter and try for the Twins and Galehead on day two.

Thanks to all who pm'd me with thier interest, I appreciate the planning tips to those who've offered.

I'll check my pm box periodically for new private messages on this one, otherwise, I'm sure the mods will appreciate it if the bandwidth on this one doesn't exceed its worthiness.

:p

Last edited:
I did the bonds and Zealand in a day, but was fogged in the entire way (and rain!). I wouldn't mind actually seeing the view.