Acadia National Park Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Has anyone been hiking in the Acadia area?
I am looking to head up there, probably the 3rd week of May.
I would like to hike;

1) Bald Peak, Parkman Mt., Gilmore Mt. & Sargent Mt.

2) Dorr Mt., the Gorge & Sieur de Monts Spring

3) Mansell & Bernard

4) and of course Cadillac

The next 2 weeks will certainly see a lot of changes, but I didn't know about the trail conditions in that area at this time of year.

Thanks!
:)

Acadia has some of the best hiking anywhere. Wherever you go there are great views for short effort. Easy to do several in a day.
Check out Sand Beach. From there you can hike Great Head from the beach, The Beehive right across the street, and don't miss Ocean Path which runs along the shore from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs. Enjoy!!

The only caution I'd throw out is to be aware that much of the exposed rock ( and there is a LOT of it in Acadia!!!!!) is lichen covered granite. It is slick as greased lightning when wet, so choose your day hikes with the weather in mind. Even if there isn't frank water as rain or run-off, a heavy fog can set up some slippery scrambling. Most of the hiking accidents in Acadia are leg and head injuries from slips and falls in just those conditions.

Beehive on a dry day is a LOT of bang for the short buck, scramble up from the Ocean Drive side, follow the trail down the back side to the Tarn ( a lovely little glacial pond) and a perfect place for a lunch stop.

So many trails, good views from all of them, you'll want to go back. A weekend isn't enough.

Breeze

I've been hiking in Acadia many times, I have done most, if not all the trails I listed, just wondering what the conditions were like now, since normally I have been there in Summer or Fall, this will be my first Spring trip up there! :)

Don't forget that Acadia is at low altitude and is a maritime climate, so the snow generally melts pretty quickly.

This also tends to be a foggy time of year--(relatively) warm humid air meets cold seas... Climate info at: http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/weather.htm

There may be trail closings due to raptor nesting.

General park info at: http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm and you can always call them for info on current conditions (the number is on this page).

Doug

Acadia is awesome, the best low altitude hiking I have ever done. Do Cadillac from the West Face trail, parking at Bubble Pond, definitely the best route up. Do not hike it from the Loop road, it is a real boring hike that borders the auto road the whole way up.

Dorr Mt is a great climb! I love the gorge trail. I have done this hike many times, one of my absolute favorites!

Oh, and Sargeant, Gilmore, Bald and Parkman is a great loop to do. A really wonderful climb, and if you go while there has been rain recently, there are some nice little waterfalls on the west side of the mountains. There is a trail there with boulders, the Giant Slide trail off rte 198, a really cool hike up Sargeant.

May is definitely an amazing time to hike the island. The weather is normally great if you catch the right weekend, things are getting green, and the island is definitely dry and hikable by late April/early May. You get the island all to yourself. Damn, I am getting jealous just writing all of this.

Last edited:
OK! I got my vacation request!!

I will be on Mount Desert Island from May 14th through May 19th.

I will post which hikes I am doing on which days in the Trips and Events Forum, so if anyone is in the area and would like to join me... :)

Wow, am I looking forward to this trip. ;)

Hummm, it is only 120 miles to BSP, and I need North Brother...
Hummmm
:rolleyes:

My son and I visited Acadia in mid-May of both 1996 and ’97 and I don’t recall seeing any snow at all.

There was snow in Baxter State Park at that time, and the trails on Katahdin were closed. We climbed South Turner without any difficulty; couldn’t tell you about the western mountains. The trail up North Brother has some pretty bad erosion, and in September and October is more stream than trail anyway, so it’s probably even worse in the merry month of May.

If you’re bagging peaks, don’t forget about Fort Mountain while you’re on North Brother.

Mid-May to mid-June is the time of year that the Azalea gardens are in bloom.
You could check to see what their status is toward the end of your stay.
They are absolutely beautiful and well worth a visit. Don't forget your camera.
http://www.acadiamagic.com/asticou-garden.html

Thanks Everyone!

The weather looks a little iffy, but it is all ok.
:)

I will be sure to check out the gardens. :)

ct--was up Cadillac by north ridge this afternoon--no sign of snow anywhere (as opposed to 11 days ago ago when i hit lots in col between Penobscot/Sargent)-there was minimal wetness on the rocks)--i saw no sign of any snow on surrounding peaks-also circumnavigated much of the island and saw no trace of snow on any of the exposed rock up high (could be some hiding in cols/NW rocks) -------Bernard/Mansell?, but why :) ---trees just starting to leaf out; black flies out, but not biting (soon, soon)--enjoy---jim

SUPAH!
Thanks Jim.
I was out for a bit today, and the black flies are out here in the Whites.
I am really looking forward to doing some hiking and biking this week, and seeing some new scenery.
WHOO HOO!

You're definitely in for a treat. The aforementioned hikes are all super. I'd recommend taking the western trail up Cadillac. Steep and a lot of fun. Beehive and Precipice area also a hoot (and also very steep), but could be closed because of the nesting. You could call the rangers and I'm sure they'd give you the skinny.

Have a great trip. ANP is the best!