public lands in NH -- it's the law!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewHampshire said:
Interesting find, Jason. In fact, I just learned that there is a Binney Pond Natural area........was out in that area Sunday and did not even know it existed!

Brian
Do you mean you did not notice Binney Pond while you were out between Wattatic and 123 or that you did not know of it prior to your hike Sunday? I always look forward to crossing those puncheon bridges that skirt the pond. I saw my first wood duck there in 2004. It's one of my favorite areas along the Wapack Trail.

Of course all it takes is a majority vote of the legislature to override this law, so they don't really get much extra protection

Binney Pond like many other areas used to be called "State Forest", apparently several have been renamed as "Natural Area"

Early Bird said:
Do you mean you did not notice Binney Pond while you were out between Wattatic and 123 or that you did not know of it prior to your hike Sunday? I always look forward to crossing those puncheon bridges that skirt the pond. I saw my first wood duck there in 2004. It's one of my favorite areas along the Wapack Trail.

I knew Binney was there, enjoyed walking past it very much (love those bridges too!) but did not know it was actually a designated Natural Area.

Brian

RoySwkr said:
Binney Pond like many other areas used to be called "State Forest", apparently several have been renamed as "Natural Area"
I suspect this is for political/management reasons... I've heard there are differences of opinion within the Div. Forests & Lands on whether or not timber harvesting should be conducted within certain areas & I suspect "Natural Area" is meant to help leave those areas alone which merit ecological preservation from timber harvesting. The herbaceous species tend to take a big hit after a logging operation, even one of "minimal" impact.

Last edited: