Bladder in the Freezer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
In the Gatorade thread, I noticed that a couple people mentioned putting their hydration bladders in the freezer after each use. I'm assuming this is a way to keep it from getting green and fuzzy. Does this really work? Don't you still need to clean it? Otherwise it seems to me the creepy crawlies would dethaw and squirm around when the baldder is not freezing, i.e. on the trail.
We have the "official" CamelBak cleaning system and drying hanger, which seem to work. Just curious about the deep freeze treatment.

trailbiscuit said:
In the Gatorade thread, I noticed that a couple people mentioned putting their hydration bladders in the freezer after each use. I'm assuming this is a way to keep it from getting green and fuzzy. Does this really work? Don't you still need to clean it? Otherwise it seems to me the creepy crawlies would dethaw and squirm around when the baldder is not freezing, i.e. on the trail.
We have the "official" CamelBak cleaning system and drying hanger, which seem to work. Just curious about the deep freeze treatment.

Rule #1 -- don't put any growth medium inside
Rule #2 -- see rule #1

Freezing keeps anything that may get inside from growing. It's quick, and convenient (just like Gatorade ;)) I've been freezing two different bladder systems for years. I have a smaller, 70 oz system I use while XC skiing and century+ bike rides, and a 3L I use hiking.

Cleaning works too, but despite the gizmos to assist, it's still the 'weakest' feature of the bladder system.

Tim

Keep ya posted!!

I saw the same thread a while back and gave it a shot. Ours are still in the freezer....I just popped them out and they look fantastic. We have a dozen old Platys and I was getting tired of replacing the hoses when they looked funny.....no matter how much time I put into cleaning them. When we use them next, I will let you know if there seemed to be any problem- deterioration or funny taste.

adkpooh said:
I saw the same thread a while back and gave it a shot. Ours are still in the freezer....I just popped them out and they look fantastic. We have a dozen old Platys and I was getting tired of replacing the hoses when they looked funny.....no matter how much time I put into cleaning them. When we use them next, I will let you know if there seemed to be any problem- deterioration or funny taste.

I have found you may get that "freezer taste" but that's the worst of it. Rinse it twice or so before filling for the day and it's mostly unnoticeable.

Tim

I'm still here so I guess it's working. I tried blow-drying my bladder, ie. one with the zip-lock type closure, but once I read here on VFTT about tossing it in the freezer I was an immediate convert to this method of least effort.

Hmm. I'm going to have to try this. I usually wash my CamelBak out with soap and water and follow it up with a rinse of warm water with several drops of bleach added. The hose I disconnect and stick a wire (like a coat hanger) through then pull a soaked piece of rag (think gun patch size) through several times until it's clean.

Freezing sounds much easier. Especially for the bite valve which is almost impossible to clean.

Kevin

Interesting, I use two different bladders, one winter, one summer, as they fit different packs. I have never cleaned them, (five Years)I use only tap water or filtered water, never had any "growth" items. Two weeks ago I just grabbed my summer bladder as I was switching packs for the season, filled the bladder and off I went. I have used it the past two weeks tastes fine! Just curious, what kind of growth would you get from tap water? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe this is what happens.

Big mouthful of cookies.
Big draught of water.
Blowback technique employed to clear hose.
Lots of little floaty cookie particles entrapped in bladder.

Peakbagr, even though the advantages of hydration units greatly outweigh the disadvantages (IMHO) you will in all likelihood experience some sort of hydration unit "event" in your hiking lifetime.

I have twice incorrectly screwed on the cap on my MSR (I'd have sworn it was on right) only to have the entire contents leak 1) all over the back of my car and 2) inside my pack.

They eventually spring leaks. I started a thread on this subject a year ago and it seems to be the price of admission to the world of hydration.

Get a big one. ie. 4 liters. Most of the time you won't fill it right up but for those times when you will need to I think it's a good investment.

One last thing: never put beer or paint in your hydration unit.

Reactions: arm
It's all in how you take care of them. Freezing, as Neil points out, is the "easy way out." You can clean them, dry them, bleach them, soap them, etc., but all that takes more effort.

If you do bleach them, rinse with alternating hot and cold water--it breaks up the surface tension of the bleach and rinses it out more quickly (or more thoroughly for the same number of rinses.)

I used to hang mine in the kitchen to dry, but my wife got sick of seeing it, so I adopted the freezer trick with entirely satisfactory results.

Tim

OK, so maybe this is a dumb question, but... if you put the bladder in the freezer empty, but after a hike when there is still a bit of water in there, don't the sides freeze together? Does it make it impossible to open? Or refill once you've removed from the freezer? I like the idea of not having to hang the camelbak up open, waiting for the insides to dry out while particles of dust, etc get inside it as it sits on our drying rack, but just want to be sure I understand the concept of how the freezing works :D

Danielle said:
OK, so maybe this is a dumb question, but... if you put the bladder in the freezer empty, but after a hike when there is still a bit of water in there, don't the sides freeze together? Does it make it impossible to open? Or refill once you've removed from the freezer? I like the idea of not having to hang the camelbak up open, waiting for the insides to dry out while particles of dust, etc get inside it as it sits on our drying rack, but just want to be sure I understand the concept of how the freezing works :D

Just thaw it out for like 10 minutes before attempting to put liquid in it :D

I just place my bladder in an air tight type container w/ a dissicant. Next morning dry as a bone and no worries.

Neil said:
One last thing: never put beer or paint in your hydration unit.

No beer!?!?!?!?!?
Then what good is it?!?!?!

:D :D :D

So, the consensus seems to be that freezing is the easy way out. I'm all for the easy way out. Sounds like the new plan will be to freeze most of the time, and clean every now and then.

For dayhiking I have a Camelbak pack that I love, and I'm planning to switch to a bladder system for backpacking, which means using the bladder more often. This info should help. THANKS!!!!

MikePS said:
Interesting, I use two different bladders, one winter, one summer, as they fit different packs. I have never cleaned them, (five Years)I use only tap water or filtered water, never had any "growth" items. Two weeks ago I just grabbed my summer bladder as I was switching packs for the season, filled the bladder and off I went. I have used it the past two weeks tastes fine! Just curious, what kind of growth would you get from tap water? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ive used this same method for years as well...never had any issues.

Sometimes ill even leave water in the bladder for WEEKS after a trip, in fact my ski pack bladder is probably full in the garage right now.

M