CT A.T.: Climbing St John's Ledges with my boys

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Saturday Grant (12), Ben (10 1/2) and I took a climbing class with Gary Markowski of Small World Adventures, a local outdoor education and guide service. We would spend the day climbing St John's Ledges on the A.T. off River Rd in Kent, Ct.
Gary was a patient and thorough instructor, especially with the boys. We all had ample opportunity to climb, rappel and belay.

Grant is strong but lacks finesse, predictably using muscle to attack the rock, a lot like his father :eek: . Ben is flexible and agile and was a natural, finding hand and foot holds where Grant and I swore none existed. We graduated fairly quickly through easy beginners climbs to a higher, more exposed section that we all had some trouble on, but eventually climbed and rappelled.

Climbing is natural, instinctive, understandable. Rappelling is not. Rappelling violates millions of years of evolved instinct. There was a group of Scouts, about my boys' ages, that shared the area Saturday. Some of them were VERY unhappy :( about stepping off the cliff backwards and had to be "buddied" down. Neither of my guys had any trouble backing off the top and rappelling, which made the day more fun for us. I just told them "Okay, turn around and lean back" and they did :) .

It was a perfect day; weather, area, event and experience all could not have been better. Pics are here.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Nice Chip. Looks like you guys had a great time! I've been meaning to get out to St. Johns Ledges.

I know what you mean about rappelling. The first time is a little dicey. Hopefully your instructor had you backed up on belay and had the "power point" set above the cliff. Those two things go a long way to making it feel more secure.

Nice pictures too.

-percious

Great pics, Chip. I'd forgotten those ledges were used for climbing.
I'm guessing this was the mini's frist time ?

Dave

Excellent!

Funny, this weekend I took my family out on the Ragged rocks for mother's day - My sis climbed and I got my dad to rappel - my mom is still against it all, but I'll get her rappelling and climbing one of these days :)

Perfect weekend too!

percious said:
Nice Chip. Looks like you guys had a great time! I've been meaning to get out to St. Johns Ledges.
-percious
It's a great area. We'll be heading back up soon. Let me know if you're in the neighborhood.

lattinhill said:
I'm guessing this was the mini's frist time ?
Yeah, their first, they did great. I took that Ice Climbing course in Feb, but I hadn't climbed rock since High School.

cbcbd said:
Excellent!

Funny, this weekend I took my family out on the Ragged rocks for mother's day - My sis climbed and I got my dad to rappel - my mom is still against it all, but I'll get her rappelling and climbing one of these days :)

Perfect weekend too!

When were you at ragged? It must have been "beginner" weekend, because I guided my sister and her BF up May's Way on Saturday! Hard to manage two ropes when they are the same color!

-percious

percious said:
When were you at ragged? It must have been "beginner" weekend, because I guided my sister and her BF up May's Way on Saturday! Hard to manage two ropes when they are the same color!

-percious
Cool! Actually, the last time I climbed with my sister was TRing May's Way, Bloody Sunday, and Sunday Bulge last spring!
We were hiking a loop at Ragged on Sunday and stopped at the May Crack Block. I set up my dad and sister up and we rappelled off the top and then I led Thin Line and my sister followed - her first seconding and first rappel for all. My mom was too scared, but she knows she's next :)

Yep, this was surely a family climbing weekend :D

Doug

cbcbd said:
I set up my dad and sister up and we rappelled off the top and then I led Thin Line and my sister followed - her first seconding and first rappel for all. My mom was too scared, but she knows she's next :)

Yep, this was surely a family climbing weekend :D

Doug

I like that climb. Last time I climbed it I was hip-belayed. Old school! You mean you didn't take a run at may day?

-chris

Chip you belaying your sons...now that is a Father's Day metaphor.

Last edited:
percious said:
I like that climb. Last time I climbed it I was hip-belayed. Old school! You mean you didn't take a run at may day?

-chris
Lol, leading not yet. I didn't have a TR set up and didn't think of leading that - but it is a very nice looking crack!

cbcbd said:
Lol, leading not yet. I didn't have a TR set up and didn't think of leading that - but it is a very nice looking crack!

I think you mistook May Crack for May Day. May Crack is the nice crack, and no giveaway at 5.8. I would say 5.9- at least! May Day is the face to the left which is 5.13- !!! one of the only 13s in the state. I tried the first two moves on it last year... yeah...

Sorry to Hijack your thread Chip. This is the first real discussion on ct climbing we have had on this board. Thanks for bringing it up!

-percious

percious said:
Sorry to Hijack your thread Chip. This is the first real discussion on ct climbing we have had on this board. Thanks for bringing it up!
-percious
:) No Problemo. Maybe we can skip the "Ct Beer Night" and get out on some cliffs. I've ordered some climbing gear ( :rolleyes: here we go) and am doing an AMC top-rope anchor construction workshop on May 26 at Ragged. I may be doing another outing at St John's with my boys on May 27 or 28. We may be camping up there on the 27th and 28th, depending on the weather.

Last edited:
percious said:
I think you mistook May Crack for May Day. May Crack is the nice crack, and no giveaway at 5.8. I would say 5.9- at least! May Day is the face to the left which is 5.13- !!! one of the only 13s in the state. I tried the first two moves on it last year... yeah...

-percious
Haha, oh yes, you're right. I did indeed not climb May Crack... but I did onsight May Day...

...yeah :D (I'll have to check that one out next time in the area!)

Yeah, thanks Chip for the climbing thread :)

A late reply to this since my home computer was out of commission for a while... I enjoyed hearing about this trip after it happened and seeing the pictures. I wondered which son was which?