Greylock - easy hike to top?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
hi all - not too familar with the berkshires even tho I live in mass. hoping to head out there with family this weekend and looking for a easier hike to the summit. (3 miles or less to top would be ideal)

It looks like you can park of rockwell rd at various places and hike to summit? But map shows quite a few cool options around the peak.

I have some plans in mind, but was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions the book doesn't tell! or what may work best for a 2 year old in a child carrier. (he likes to see people on the trail)

also, if anyone knows a cheap motel in area, drop me a line on that too.

thanks dudes and dudettes. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: yam
You might want to check this thread., as there is supposed to be construction on parts of the road, and the various parking lots might not be open. Good luck, it's a nice mountain and there can be great views!

Giggy,

Greylock is a really nice mountain and this year might be the time to go with the auto traffic gone.
There are some excellent trails and nice VFTT. :eek:

Although it might be a little longer way around for you, coming up some of the trails from the west or north are good ways to climb.

I think you may have a tough time doing something easy but under 3 miles one way due to the roads being closed...you may consider doing Rounds Rocks from the visitor's center...decent views, easy trails, a few miles roundtrip.

There's the Shaker village in Hancock! :)

How about a hike on the AT southbound to Mt Williams. On the AT to get to Greylock you have to go over Williams and Fitch and then Greylock. It's a long way (to non-hikers) to Greylock from No. Adams on the AT by the reservoir but it's not too bad to get to Williams. It has a nice overlook of Williamstown, MA and isn't too long a hike if I remember. Not the high point of MA though...

You might also consider a short hike to March Cataract Falls which is about 2ish miles from the campground (forget the name) on the west side of Greylock. I think you can drive to the campground still even with the road closures.. check the thread linked by Tom... That would be a real short hike though unless you start and hike to the campground and then to the falls.

If you're looking in the berkshires in general, think south like Monument Mtn, Laura's Lookout by Stockbridge.. October mtn... beartown State Forest.... Bish Bash falls... etc. etc... Yeah, not the highpoint but nice hiking..

Jay

Last edited:
You might even consider going to Savoy State Forest's Spruce Hill - nice views on the summit ledges. Not too long, not too steep.

How about Thunderbolt? I hiked Greylock twice and both thimes used this trail. I found its steepnes similiar to the White Dot on Monadnock.

Stev-o said:
You should blow-off the overnight, and do a little Wachoo!
Nice hik'in to keep you out of DC! ( divorce court )
Stay -off that short trail! ;)
I was going to suggest this also. If the weather is nice, there will be lots of other folks on the trails for the little guy to look at.

You could also try Mt. Toby in Montague (never been but I hear there's a lookout/fire tower on top) or Mt. Holyoke (not sure when the summit building is due to open)

If you're looking for some family company in the N. Central MA area drop me a PM. My wife doesn't hike much either and we'll have a 5 y/o leading the way and I'll be carrying a 1 y/o, so we won't be setting any speed records.

smitty77 said:
I was going to suggest this also. If the weather is nice, there will be lots of other folks on the trails for the little guy to look at.

You could also try Mt. Toby in Montague (never been but I hear there's a lookout/fire tower on top) or Mt. Holyoke (not sure when the summit building is due to open)

If you're looking for some family company in the N. Central MA area drop me a PM. My wife doesn't hike much either and we'll have a 5 y/o leading the way and I'll be carrying a 1 y/o, so we won't be setting any speed records.

Mt. Toby is a decent small hike, but it is a bit east of the Berkshires...a nice fire tower hike a bit closer to the Berkshires is Mt. Massaemet in Shelburne (about 25 miles east of North Adams on Route 2) - about 500-600 feet higher than Toby, built out of rock, and with stronger views.

smitty77 said:

Here are some pictures of Mt. Toby:
http://www.percious.com/hiking/other/MA - Mount Toby - May 2005/index.html

There is a nice waterfall on the backside. I was going to try to get there last winter to climb it, but People State is only 1/2 hour away with better climbing.

Mount Holyoke is nice, there is a museum on the top, probably open Memorial->Labor Day. You can always start at the top and do an out and back over the sisters, but they kind of wear you down and have lots of prickers.

Mount Tom is also pretty moderate. I see lots of families there when I go.

Toby is my favourite of the three.

Greylock is a tough little mountain. Last time I took Colden up we took Roaring Brook to the Hopper Trail. I think it's about 4 miles one-way though. I would stay away from Thunderbolt if you are bringing a non-hiker. It's fairly steep and has some loose stuff. Honestly, Monadnock is a shorter drive for you, has better views, and is an easier hike, even if it is longer. You are probably sick of "the 'nad" though, I understand.

-percious

thanks all,

thunderbolt sounds great, but prolly best saved for another day. not into descending steep stuff with my son. prolly no big deal, but I tend to be pretty cautious with him.

I need to call the park today and find out exactly what trailheads are accessible by car right now. some of the smaller peaks look like they might work nearby.

As far as I know, everything is closed as the gates...in other words, Rockwell Road to the visitor's center, the northern entrance at the gate, Greylock Glen unaffected (you are right, Thunderbolt is not something to risk with your son), and Hopper unaffected.

With young kids, I think Rounds Rock is about as much as you want to do in that area (at least of what I've done from the base areas). Spruce Hill across the valley is nice. Monument Mountain (to the south) is also nice.

It can't be that hard, I heard hikerdude did it

How about Thunderbolt?
I agree with Brian W-
I've done it in winter, so don't know about footing, but you can decide if it's too tough on the way up. I think it's the same or easier than the white dot on Mt Monadnock. Monument Mountain or Bash Bish Falls are nice, but not in the same area, both South of the pike.

Stony Ledge Trail-

I would suggest the Stony Ledge Trail from the Base of the Mt Greylock ski club if you are going to be in the Greylock area and Greylock sounds like a little too much. The trail leads to the Sperry campgrounds where it provides great up-close views of Greylock. I don't know the mileage but I doubt it is more than 3 miles one way...

Another good one in the area that is certainly family friendly is the Taconic Crest trail to the Snow Hole. That is 2.7 miles one way and involves minimal elevation gain and a nice ridge walk. Added bonus is that the kids can make snowballs when they get to the Snow hole. Should be plenty of snow left. Both Hikes are more Taconic than Berkshire but still very close to Greylock and Williamstown.