Car Camping, Northwest, CT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the best places to car camp in Northwestern, CT area. It's ok if the campsites are right over the border into Mass. or NY. Preferably with a river near the campsites, and some privacy of course. I'd like to have day hiking access to the Bear Mt. area, Lions Head, AT. I haven't pinpointed a specific place yet so any recommendations would be helpful. My wife is pregnant so I'm looking for some relaxation and light hiking we can do together. Backpacking is out of the question. Hope everyone is having a great beginning to the season.

Thanks!

Josh

Housatonic Meadows State Park Campground

In Sharon, CT, a few miles north of the Rt 4, Rt 7 intersection, on Rt 7. The campground sits right next to the Housatonic and has sites right next to the river. Although I find that "car camping privacy" is an oxymoron, on a normal weekend I don't think the place fills up, but you will have neighbors like any other campground.

South from the campground you'll find a couple trailheads that put you on the AT or some nice loops-Pine Knob loop is a short loop with a view of the Housatonic. Another nice quick hike is to check out the Silver Hill campsite on the AT - swing chair, porch, open... it's niiice ;)

~30 minutes north on a beautiful drive on rt 7/112/41 and you're at the base of Bear Mt.

Have fun!
Doug

You can also stay at the American Legion State Forest Campground in Barkhamsted.. on the Farmington River. I stayed there when a friend and I biked to Maine and it was a very very nice campground in a nice location.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325054

It's not as close as the AMC's hut/campsite that Chip links to but at the campground, there are hiking trails, fishing/canoeing in the river and stuff...

Just an option anyway...

Jay