Air mattresses?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Can anybody suggest a good air mattress for camping? I've tried a few of the cheap ones sold at places like Wal-Mart only to get up in the morning on the ground and find that it deflated on me overnight.

I've been looking at R.E.I. and have seen some nice ones by Aero. They have quite a few to choose from and of course the sales people tell you they are all great. Does anyobody have any opinions from experience on what might be a good one to invest in? I'm not saying price is not a consideration but I'm willing to spend a little more than before for something that will stay inflated all night.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

I would also recommend a self-inflatable (eg thermarest) over an air mattress. IMO, more comfortable than an air mattress and some insulation to boot. Thermarest is the originator, top quality, and has a lifetime warantee. (I have several, including a 30+ yr old one that is still fine with no leaks.) There are some other brands that are somewhat cheaper (don't know how good they are).

For car camping, a 3in thick pad with solid foam would be ideal, for hiking a 1 or 1.5in thick pad with solid or "swiss-cheese" (has holes to save weight, but also loses some insulation) foam works well. I prefer a full-length rectangular pad, some use 3/4 length pads to save weight (you use clothing etc under your legs and feet).

Lots of places carry them--a selection can be found at: http://www.rei.com/Search.do?origin...ad^start^cat,4500449:Self-Inflating+Foam+Pads

Doug

Last edited:
3/4 thermarest. Use your pack to put under your lower legs, keeps warm. If you do some winter over nighters you can always place a full length closed cell foam pad under the self inflatable. I have the guide lite 3/4 and I am considering the prolite 3.

ripple said:
3/4 thermarest. Use your pack to put under your lower legs, keeps warm. If you do some winter over nighters you can always place a full length closed cell foam pad under the self inflatable. I have the guide lite 3/4 and I am considering the prolite 3.

I've been using the prolite 3 and have been quite happy with it. Comfortable, reliable, and packs nicely into a compression sack, along with my 1 lb. bag). I'm 6' 1" but have no need for additional clothes under my feet in warm weather. I'm also comfortable with the lighter 3/4 length Z-rest, but the Prolite 3 has more cushion. YMMV. As ripple suggests, winter camping is another ballgame.

If you haven't noticed in the replies, an air matress is colder. This is because the air in the mattress will match the air temperature. An insulated (foam) mattress will be warmer.

I also have a few Thermarests, one is a well used 27 year old one with no issues.

Jim

jbreen said:
If you haven't noticed in the replies, an air matress is colder. This is because the air in the mattress will match the air temperature. An insulated (foam) mattress will be warmer.
The system of the foam attached to the inflated cover is also more comfortable than a pure air mattress. With the pure air mattress, if you push down in one place, it tends to push up elsewhere. This does not happen with a fully inflated thermarest-style pad giving a more stable platform. The thermarest-style pad also has a smooth surface, unlike the patterned surface of a pure air mattress.

Doug