Chocorua 5/26 via Piper/Carter Ledge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
What a fantastic day for a hike! Perfect. Started on the Piper at 7AM and branched off to Nickerson Ledge and then Carter Ledge. I expected this to be a little tougher than it actually was, but it wasn't bad at all. We expected to go up and down Piper but was glad we decided to hit the Carter Ledge as it was fun being out in the open for longer and seeing that perspective. And was finally glad to peak Middle Sister with that structure on top which I had always wondered about from previous trips up Chocorua. Nice to see that up close. Looked like there were solar panels in there, anyone know what that is used for? Anyway, peaked Chocorua at 10:30 as we took our time up. Beautiful up top also and spent a half hour up there with some other kind folk. Started our descent at 11 and was back down the Piper to the parking lot by 1 exactly. So 6 hours approximate 9.3 miles. All in all a great day and a new way up Chocorua which I have done Champney Falls and Brook/Liberty. Good stuff going up this way too!

Middle Sister is a gem...as neat as Chocorua is, the Three Sisters are a close second in my book.

The foundation on it was for a fire lookout house (there was a lookout stand on Chocorua once upon a time, but locals wouldn't allow a tower to be built there). Apparently, after the lookout house on Middle Sister was shut down, it was used for a radio repeater.

You are right, Middle Sister was a gem and also had great views all around. I wasn't even sure what we were peaking until I got home and read the book to realize up Carter Ledge Trail, we peaked Third Sister, then Middle Sister and then First Sister, before Chocorua. Pretty cool. Quite a longer more roundabout way of going up Chocorua, but well worth it when you have already seen Champney Falls and the Brook/Liberty options.