favorite way up Cannon?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weatherman said:
Hey- going tomorrow AM up Cannon, trying for #60/67. Any favorite ways? Thanks.
Weatherman
There's no easy way up Cannon - it's a rough little mountain from any direction.

I usually go up/down via the Mt Kinsman Trail. You can find it on the far left of the parking lot for the ski area.

My second favorite is Hi-Cannon, but once you gain the high elevation it's rather boring poking along thru the scrub.

From the hut, via Coppermine Col, the Mt Kinsman trail is just plain mean. I avoid it except in winter when I'm wearing long pointy things and the voids between the boulders are filled in.

Favorite way up? The tram, when I can ski down. ;) Couldn't resist.

I like the high cannon with its views from the ledges above lonesome lake, which rival the views from the top.

Kevin Rooney said:
From the hut, via Coppermine Col, the Mt Kinsman trail is just plain mean.
I would just call it steep with lots of boulders low down. You will need to use your hands...

I've been up it in winter in deep powder (step kicking with snowshoes) and summer, but never down it.

Doug

Thanks! We'll probably try Hi-Cannon since my Dad is not too keen on the steeps. My last attempt was with my infant son in a backpack, via Lonesome Lake and Coppermine Col- we got up to the last scramble and a "no-fall" area and called it quits- he didn't have a helmet. :)

Weatherman

Kevin Rooney said:
My second favorite is Hi-Cannon, but once you gain the high elevation it's rather boring poking along thru the scrub.
I went up Hi-Cannon a week ago, I liked the thin screen of trees and the views across to Franconia Ridge, but it definitely has its challenging moments. Also the trail was in fairly rough condition, with a number of eroded switchbacks.

I haven't gone up any other routes, but they all lead to the same summit - great views but the tram-riders definitely give it a different feel.

Kevin Rooney said:
From the hut, via Coppermine Col, the Mt Kinsman trail is just plain mean. I avoid it except in winter...
I went down this way, it was the only time all day that I couldn't hear the traffic in Franconia notch. I was sure glad I hadn't come up that way. NE Cannonball was an easy summit from the trail junction, and had nice views - a different perspective on Franconia, a closer view of the Kinsmans, and the back shoulder of Cannon. The walk out past the hut was unobjectionable.

adamiata said:
As soon as I get up the nerve and experience to do it, I'm sure Whitney-Gilman will be at the top of my list. ;)
I would have preferred the Black Dike back when it and I were in shape... :)

Doug

Last edited:
I'd also vote for the Kinsman Ridge trail. Some of that vote is based on sentiment though, since that is the first trail I ever hiked in the WMNF.

Ironically, the front side of the KRT up from the tram was the first WMNF hike I ever did too... in 1977 with a group from summer camp, and it was 90 degrees, and the counselors forgot the food, and... well, you know the rest of the story. No summit that day. I enjoyed Hi-Cannon this past weekend.

Weatherman

adamiata said:
As soon as I get up the nerve and experience to do it, I'm sure Whitney-Gilman will be at the top of my list. ;)
DougPaul said:
I would have preferred the Black Dike back when it and I were in shape... :)

Doug
Both are on my tick list! (like every other NE rock/ice climber) Black Dike will probably take a bit longer to accomplish ;)
I'm heading to Wallface this weekend, so I'll get some good multipitch to help me on Cannon. :)

cbcbd said:
Both are on my tick list! (like every other NE rock/ice climber) Black Dike will probably take a bit longer to accomplish ;)
I'm heading to Wallface this weekend, so I'll get some good multipitch to help me on Cannon. :)

Dammit! I'm jealous. Maybe I'll just go "wine" about a "large whale" ;-).

-percious

percious said:
Dammit! I'm jealous. Maybe I'll just go "wine" about a "large whale" ;-).

-percious
Hee hee... no pity here - I'm the one that has been suffering through all your juicy climbing reports ;)

ok, threadjack off.

adamiata said:
Ive done the Whitney-Gilman ridge a few times and its one of the best routes on the east coast for sure, anyone who needs first hand beta let me know.
As for foot trails, I go up hi-cannon and down kinsman ridge after a jaunt to visit the Old man. Wow he's gone isnt he, miss the old bugger.