Mt. Madison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
heading up mt. madison tomorrow. i've done a bunch of winter hiking in my ole leather hikers, should i be concerned not wearing plastics or mountaineering boots? i've done hikes in below zero weather without any problems as long as i keep moving. would the northern presies pose a bigger problem?

thanks,
-ct

Your ole leathers should be fine. If you are worried about your feet getting cold, you can get a pair of VBL socks. Vapor Barrier Liner socks are worn between a liner sock and a heavy outer layer sock. I have worn them with my Vasque Artics boots all winter and I haven't had a problem with cold feet.

4000'ers Journals of the White Mountains

You should probably be OK, weather report looks fair. I've had to turn around on Mt. Madison before when temps. went down to 10F and my leather boots weren't warm enough. Good luck.

A lot depends on the condition and how waterproof your leather boots are. I have a pair of Limmers resoled and nearing the end of their second life. I use them only for basically dry hiking conditions now since the leather gets saturated from continuous contact with water or snow. This happens even with Sno-Seal or similar leather protection. I like the Sorel type pac boots for Northeast wet or snow conditions.