Algonquin descents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

out there

Reaction score
I'm looking for some options for an interesting winter descent of Algonquin.
Myself and a climbing buddy will be heading up as (extra) chaparones with some students on 03/06. I've only summited Algonquin from Avalanche Lake in summer and don't know the other faces. We were hoping to make the descent a bit exciting (just)short of skiing or boarding or glissading off a cliff...
any ideas?

from what I remember...

I believe that the Heart Lake side of the summit is much steaper with more drops then the Iroquois Peak side. Both are probably skiiable, but I think the Iroquois side would be better...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

peace,
Oysterhead

Bad Idea!!!

Let me get this right -

Your acting as a chaperone

You've only been up 1 side of the mountain in the summer

You want to descend a route you have not climbed.

Send me a copy of the accident report!

well ossifer...

ihtink i cern see five poirnts and touch my nose with the ground
firstly-a bad idea is simply a bad idea, not a crime, not an epic, not a tragedy
secondly-I've expressed only the broad context (ie. students will be furnished with guides from Rock and River) within which information will be assesed in, and preperations made
third-I've stayed happy and healthy climbing rock, ice and dirt (east,west,winter,spring,summer and fall)for the past 15,9,35 years by knowing when to back off and /or making plans B,C,D...
fourth-I don't mind not knowing what's around every corner or using a compass if it means getting out of the SOS. There's even a word for it...
fifth-I can't count any higher and no, you can't come with me KZ -unless you can tell me which is my_ss and which is my elbow...

I'm sorry if my sarcastic reply was offensive.

I've been ice climbing, snowshoeing, or backcountry skiing every weekend since mid December and have seen many people out there ill prepared for the mountains in winter. Your original post provided little information on what type of equipment you intend to use or ability level. My experience with the hikers on VFTT is they are very safety conscious, have great respect for the mountains, and feel accountable for the information they provide.

Since you are using a Guide Service I suggest you consult with them. I hope you have an enjoyable and safe journey whatever you decide to do.