Goretex vs Softshell bibs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi All,
I was wondering if any of you wear bibs for the winter months? I'm debating replacing my softshell pants for some mountaineering type bibs for the next winter. I'm planning on doing a lot of overnighters next winter and I don't like how my current softshell pants absorb some moisture and freeze (slightly) when doing overnighters. So I was thinking of getting some goretex mountaineering bibs.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with bibs, were they softshell or some goretex like material?

Appreciate the feedback!

Fish

Yep, I have Gore-tex bibs and they are great! They have full zippers on the sides, which allow me to put them on over anything, and they have a moon zipper with 4 zippers around the crotchal area ;) ... which is great when you have to do the do in the BC.

I use them for most everything in the winter except for ice climbing - then I use softshell pants.

Unfortunately they don't make my bibs anymore... they are the EMS Expedition bibs from two winters ago.

Use gtx bibs for the winter, they are by arcteryx... cant complain at all. Eliminates bullk around the waist so my harness fits over well, breathes well, and the keprotec is impressive.

One suggestion for extended stays in the backcountry is finding compatible underlayers for use of the crouch through zipper... otherwise it can be a little bit of a pain compared to regular pants.

G-Tex bibs for winter climbing/hiking/camping? Absolutely!!!!

I use 'em and love 'em! I have the EMS branded bibs with the Gore-XCR (i think.....). Not the sturdiest host fabric, but pretty light all the same. Besides, i am pretty good with fixing fabric tears with SeamGrip. :D

Also, i use a Marmot fleece "union suit" as an insulating layer - though it can get a bit too warm when on the move - so i adjust what i wear on top to accomodate this. I also found, at a site called "the sportsmansguide" or something similar, another fleece one-piece layer for $25 USD.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=69739

The link points to the only ones they seem to have now - which are different than the ones i bought 2 years ago. The sportsmansguide ones are not quite as warm as the Marmot suit so the cheaper ones get more use. On the sportsmansguide ones "access" is more traditional..... These newer ones look warmer, but may be "rear-exit" challenged?!?!

fm

EDIT:

I just looked at the site above and here are a few NEW options - all on the cheap!!!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=273358

And a third and i think FINAL suit:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=281391

The last pair, while a few more bucks look nicer....

Hope this isn't a hi-jack :eek:

fm

Last edited:
KevCon223 said:
I use Gore-Tex bibs in Winter and I love 'em. They are Arcteryx Alpha SV, easy to get on, with two chest pockets. Very comfy!!

I've actually been looking at the Alpha SV bibs and although they are quite expensive, they do seem like what I want. I'm still hoping the MEC comes up with a decent immitation by next winter!

Thanks for all your posts!

Fish

hikingfish said:
I've actually been looking at the Alpha SV bibs and although they are quite expensive, they do seem like what I want. I'm still hoping the MEC comes up with a decent immitation by next winter!

Fish
I was lucky to find them on sale last year from Mountain Gear for $255 US !! Check around, especially this time of year.

Full bibs (like the Alpha SV) can get too warm at times for me. I prefer the Theta Lt pants with suspenders also made by Arcteryx. They vent better, feel more comfortable compared to bibs, and are less weight to carry in your pack during ascent.