xsking in old forge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
anyone use the cross country trail right before the overpass by thendara. I read there was a trail down that road, but the road does not look to inviting. Hows the road and parking situation? and more important, how good is the trail?

Woodhull Lake Trail? I haven't been back in that area before. I've used the trails at McCauley and Fern Park, both have a very good system of trails.

also, the Moose river road has a bunch of trails to choose from. Sara and I plan on doing the Casade loop saturday...

this loop features easy up and downs and has a frozen waterfall at one end..

maybe we'll see you up there this weekend...

I think you mean the Big Moose Road. The Cascade loop is great as is the Moss lake loop with side trip to Bubb and Sis lake.

The Big Otter trail referenced in the original post is OK for skiing but parking may be a problem if it's not plowed. There are some significant hills in the beginning. I think the trails off the Big Moose road are much better. Another one to consider is the second trailhead off the Bisby road in Old Forge. This trail is a snowmobile trail but not many use it because it typically isn't groomed. From there you can ski to Nicks lake and Lock and Dam on the Moose River.

ADackR said:
also, the Moose river road has a bunch of trails to choose from. Sara and I plan on doing the Casade loop saturday...

this loop features easy up and downs and has a frozen waterfall at one end..

maybe we'll see you up there this weekend...

Otter Lake Truck Trail

I skied the trail you're talking about. Drive down the road to a gate. From the gate you follow the snowmobile trail a hundred feet or so and turn left onto a ski trail that leads into the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness. In the past most people have taken the trail to the shoulder of Moose Mt. or all the way to Otter Lake. There is a new side trail that leads to the summit of the mountain. I took it on my trip last year. It had not been tracked out. I was poling on the downhill. It's not steep at all. A novice could handle it. There used to be a tower at the summit, but it was removed. Without it, there's no view.