Bucklin trail-Killington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's on Wheelerville Road right where it makes a sharp right turn. Bucklin is on the left side of the road, the old carriage road is straight ahead.

Wheelerville Road is off of Route 4 in Mendon.

Some of were there just last Sat. As I recall, it's a good four miles or so south from Route 4, if you're coming that way. If you have an altimeter, I think the altitude was c. 1,725 ft. While there is trailsign, it is hard to see from the road and faint. It's on a tree on the right, some feet in from the trailhead (above a more prominent, more generic sign posted by the local trail association).

SteveHiker said:
Wheelerville Road is off of Route 4 in Mendon.

More specifically, a couple miles west of the entrance to the Pico ski area. Longer than you might expect. Coming from the east it's just before a bridge. It is a dirt road.

Guidebook says if from Wheelerville x Route 4, that it is 4 miles from route 4.

In finding it last Saturday with Amicus, it was on the left at a very sharp turn to the right. There's two parking areas on the left shoulder. We could easily see a blue blazed trail (Bucklin) and the gated forest road.

Depending on where you're approaching from, be aware that the route 4 bridge just west of 106 in Woodstock is OUT. Amicus has quite the tale of a detour around it! I think the signs said from 6/2 to 6/28.

Coming from No Central MA, I took 2 > 91 > 103 > 100, and therefore bypassed it.

We were on Mendon last Saturday. Judging from that, you won't encounter any snow or ice.

Information on the Route 4 / Woodstock detours...

For tourists (pdf)
For truckers (pdf)

If you're coming up I-91, Dugan's directions are optimal ... 103 to Ludlow, then 100 north to 4, then west (and a plug for Bagel Basement in Ludlow where 100s meets 103).

Coming from 89 in NH or have a target on the north side of Rte 4? Go up 89 to exit 3, then follow the detour which is rte 107 west to 100, then either south on 100 to 4 (Killington) or north on 100 for Ellen & Abraham.

Tut ... I don't have my map tools with me, but 89 to 100 to 4 might be better for you than 7 to 4. The latter has a lot of slow villages and is quite the slow strip up by Burlington. 100 is also a much more beautiful drive.

Last edited:
MichaelJ said:
Information on the Route 4 / Woodstock detours...

For tourists (pdf)
For truckers (pdf)

If you're coming up I-91, Dugan's directions are optimal ... 103 to Ludlow, then 100 north to 4, then west (and a plug for Bagel Basement in Ludlow where 100s meets 103).

Coming from 89 in NH or have a target on the north side of Rte 4? Go up 89 to exit 3, then follow the detour which is rte 107 west to 100, then either south on 100 to 4 (Killington) or north on 100 for Ellen & Abraham.

Tut ... I don't have my map tools with me, but 89 to 100 to 4 might be better for you than 7 to 4. The latter has a lot of slow villages and is quite the slow strip up by Burlington. 100 is also a much more beautiful drive.

89 to 107 is the quickest route from Burlington, so i will probably take that on the way down, but take 100 on the ride up, it is definitely a nice drive. rte 7 is very slow with all the little villages.

king tut said:
89 to 107 is the quickest route from Burlington, so i will probably take that on the way down, but take 100 on the ride up, it is definitely a nice drive. rte 7 is very slow with all the little villages.
Having lived in this area for many years, this route is definitely the fastest way from Killington. And, you have the pleasure of driving by the Drewski homestead ...

Wheelerville Road is near the base of the long hill, just before it flattens out. It's a bit easy to miss as your driving down the hill because of the wide 3-lane highway, but if you cross the bridge - you've gone just a bit too far.

Last edited:
The Bucklin Trailhead is exactly 3.75 miles up Wheelerville after you make the turn off VT4.
:D

There is also a post at the end of the road with about six or seven mailboxes on it -- just watch for those and you'll be fine. If you get to Sugar and Spice restuarant, you've gone to far.

Have a great hike!

Last edited: