Leroy (3030') and Tumbledown (3588') 6/10/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhrsebago

Reaction score
Yet again Onestep and I ventured into the Beaudry as he comes very close to climbing all of the Maine 3000 fters.... Had 3 weeks been long enough for the muddy Haynestown Road to dry enough to finally allow passage by car? ...barely. The road was in pretty rough shape, although Saabie was able to make it through the muddy section that defeated us in May. But even Onestep's off-road Taurus couldn't have made it over the East Branch of the Moose River, so Saabie was content to park there with no loss of face. Continuing on foot to the high point on the Haynestown Rd, we could see the cliffs on Leroy's southern side and avoided them by whacking to the ridge west of the summit. From the Leroy summit we could see the bumpy ridge and some of the cliffs between us and Tumbledown. Originally, we had planned to return to the road and approach Tumbledown from the south, but the day was young and we felt adventurous. Taking a fairly direct line eastward, we descended steeply from Leroy, passed south of the cliffy westernmost bump to its col with the middle bump, then contoured on the north side of the middle and east bumps starting at 2850' and gradually ascending to 3000' and the west ridge of Tumbledown itself. With only a few very brief thick or steep sections the ease of this traverse was a very pleasant surprise. The climb to the firetower was denser and steeper, but only rated a "mild" on the thickness scale.

High noon on Tumbletown found us climbing the tower (from which we could see the Bigelows, Coburn and many of the nearby Beaudry peaks), swatting pesky insects and replacing the absent summit jar (now hose clamped to the NW leg of the tower). We descended SE following the old firewardens trail toward the ridge with Three Slide Mt., but lost it around 2800'. By then the woods were open and we were well east of the steepness and cliffs. Bearing SW we entered a recently logged area and found a wet logging road which paralled the Tumbledown/Leroy ridge at 2400' and led us back westward to the Haynestown Rd. We stopped off to explore Prick Pond (no kidding, that's what the USGS calls it) and were rewarded by seeing multiple yellow spotted salamanders and red efts in the water. Other wildlife for the day included 1 moose, 2 deer and several ruffed grouse. The Beaudry Rd itself has been repaired and is in terrific condition compared to what we experienced in May.

We highly recommend this loop route!... Another unbelievable adventure in the mountains!!

Last edited:
The old Spencer Lake quad showed a 3310 ft peak just to the west of Tumbledown, known ironically as Tumbledown (W PK), however, this elusive peak was never climbed, because it never existed, the old map was wrong. Back in 1994, when I did the same loop with the Romanos, for fun, we put a register up on the last bump on the ridge just west of Tumbledown, thus claiming to be the first to ever climb the nonexistent Tumbledown (W PK), such is the sense of humor of Beaudry bushwackers.

Nicely done, guys... Wish I could have been there with you, sounds like it was a great little trip.

Out of curiosity, do you have any approximate times for the legs of this 'whack?
Road to Leroy
Leroy to Tumbledown
Tumbledown to Road
Road back to car?

Just so I can budget my time when I go up there again this fall. Thanks!

albee said:
Out of curiosity, do you have any approximate times for the legs of this 'whack?
Road to Leroy
Leroy to Tumbledown
Tumbledown to Road
Road back to car?

Albee,

It took us an hour to get from the car to the summit of Leroy. The traverse across to Tumbledown took a little less than 2 hours. From Tumbledown back to the car, with a side trip to Prick Pond, took 2 hrs & 15 min.

Total round trip: 5:45

I got this email from Kurt "Onestep" today:
-----------------------------------------
Hi Dennis,

Yesterday Mark Rolerson & I 'whacked Leroy & Tumbledown.

We read in the register on Leroy entries from the late 80's / early 90's talking about whether Leroy was W Tumbledown and if it was the "right peak" or not. It seems there was some sort of confusion going on back then. Do you recall what the issue was?

Curious minds need to know! Kurt
-----------------------------------------
Kurt, there was a controversy back then, as dms mentions. The old 15 min. quad map clearly showed a qualifying peak on the west shoulder of Tumbledown, which just wasn't there (with proper col requirements) when we bushwhacked over from the main peak. Leroy was later officially added to the updated NE 451 list and Tumbledown (W PK) was dropped with the release of the 7.5 new map. I've since gone back to get Leroy. We were able to drive in to the map red cross.

dms and Dennis C.! ... that's an intriguing bit of whacking history! It must have been maddening to try to find "West Tumbledown"... I wish we'd known about the jar dms hung on one of the bumps; we would have loved to have relocated it.

Since Dennis C was in there years ago, the Haynestown road has narrowed significantly with alders and other growth pressing in from the sides. There must have been a small bridge over the East Branch at one time; one would need a very high clearance vehicle to cross it now. Why do all the whackers I know drive petite low slung mini cars??? Where are all the real women and men with amphibious landing craft or at least Hummers???

mhrsebago said:
But even Onestep's off-road Taurus couldn't have made it over the East Branch of the Moose River
I was there in the 80s with the PeakMaster, DC, and AM - first trip to Beaudry Rd for DC and AM and (we thought) last for PM & me. All 4 took the side road in my 2wd Ranger as AM's 2wd van was thought to be too wide for the brushy road. At this crossing, the guys got out and said the river was too deep to walk across so I'd have to drive it :) Did drive this OK but coming back put a nasty twist in rear bumper when I got hung up crossing a dip. This was after both vehicles getting flat tires 2 days earlier from rock on Beaudry Road. That particular rock is no longer there - we dug it out the last day as a public service.

dms said:
The old Spencer Lake quad showed a 3310 ft peak just to the west of Tumbledown, known ironically as Tumbledown (W PK), however, this elusive peak was never climbed, because it never existed, the old map was wrong. Back in 1994, when I did the same loop with the Romanos, for fun, we put a register up on the last bump on the ridge just west of Tumbledown, thus claiming to be the first to ever climb the nonexistent Tumbledown (W PK), such is the sense of humor of Beaudry bushwackers.
Sorry dms but that's a spurious claim, we came down that ridge looking for the peak and Sonny even climbed a tree to spot it, so we probably hit that point. We foolishly didn't climb Leroy as map showed it without a col, didn't make that mistake again cf. Unspotted. But when we went back for Leroy we also climbed 2794 hence PM & I have one more Beaudry peak than most folks.

The old map showing W Tumbledown: http://docs.unh.edu/ME/spen58nw.jpg

Last edited:
Roy, I would have loved to have seen Sonny up in some tree scouring the horizon for a peak that didn't even exist! Priceless vision! BTW, the tree he climbed was probably the one we hung the register on, as we put the register on a large tree on the bump to the west of the Tumbledown summit.

" ... up in some tree scouring the horizon for a peak ..."

I recall a number of times over the years doing this to get nearby visual bearings. Finding a tree with branches .... and strong enough ... was sometimes a problem.

Kurt also asked about the history of the Tumbledown fire tower. According to the "Forest Fire Lookouts of Maine" by David Hilton (1997), the T5 R6 township tower was wooden in 1910. The 24' steel tower was erected in 1914. Fred Hutchins (1917) and George Reed (1929) are listed as former watchmen. RoySwkr (aka "fire tower guru") made significant contributions to this publication.

The summit area looks a lot more open than when we were there in the mid 1980s. I remember trying to climb up the ladder all the while battling two tall spruce trees growing up directly below the tower and getting tree sap on my bushwhacking gloves and clothing.

dms said:

Dennis, when I originally read this post, I thought you were talking about one of the 3120' bumps just west of Tumbledown. Do you actually mean the bump just east of Leroy? I ask too because over the weekend I walked the ridge between Leroy and Tumbledown, and along the way I checked the two 3120' bumps, but didn't find anything. Then again, I might have just been looking in the wrong place.