Ammonoosuc Ravine, BoottSpur, Alpine Garden, Mt. Clay, Jewel Trail on 6-11-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Awesome day in the alpine zone! The drive up Crawford Notch was nice just after sunrise. This bull moose was in the field near the Webster/Jackson TH.
6-10-07-150.jpg

I tried to get closer for a better shot but I almost stepped on a duck that was laying in the grass. When she flushed the noise spooked the bull into the woods.

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail was lush and wet from recent showers. The song of thrushes, warblers and chickadees filled the air. Wildflowers are plentiful, including starflower, buchberry, blue bead lily, Canada mayflower, and even a few painted trillium and sweet beth.

At treeline I could see patches of blue sky and I knew I was in luck for good weather. I stopped at the LOC Hut to refill water bottles. My wonderful mood was rudely interupted by loud urban club music inside the hut. I couldn't get out of there fast enough, quickly making may way over to the south lake where the sound of peeping frogs and laughing ravens made it all ok again.
6-10-07-157.jpg

Gulped a V8 and a chocolate muffin and started to wander around enjoying the views and alpine flowers from the Camel Trail, over to Boott Spur. From there, I headed over toward Lion Head. A few folks and a dog were taking turns down on the remaining snow. Lapland rosebay was beautiful.
6-10-07-070.jpg

Then I enjoyed the Alpine Garden, where the rosebay, diapensia, azalea was plenitful.
6-10-07-080.jpg

rosebay and bearberry willow...
6-10-07-087.jpg

Near Pinacle Rock, I met Allison Bell, co-author of "Adirondack Alpine Summits". What a wonderful person. We've coresponded via email and it was a great place to meet her in person, along with her dog Bunting.

6-10-07-107.jpg

Then I headed up and over Ball Crag and mt Washington to quickly fill water bottles and then escape down the Gulfside Trail. The views from the area around Mt. Clay are stunning. I'll be back to spend more time around there on a sunny day.
6-10-07-034.jpg

6-10-07-028.jpg

After Mt. Clay, I descended the Jewel Trail, back into lush boreal forest, where the birdsong was amazing all the way down.

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
What? No moose observed in Alpine Garden???

My first reaction to a TR by Forest Gnome on a hike to the Alpine Garden was that Forest Gnome will be the first person to ever sight moose in the Alpine Garden. :D Of course this wasn't too far off the mark as he spots some at the trailhead. Nice presentation on the wild flowers! Keep up the good work?