Pools That Beckon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gem Pool?

Am I correct in thinking that it is against the rules to wade in the Gem Pool on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail?

Summer's here time for a swim!

I thought I'd bring this thread back now that summer is here and need somwhere to cool off during a long hike.
Anybody have any good suggestions for the daks?

prino said:
I thought I'd bring this thread back now that summer is here and need somwhere to cool off during a long hike.
Anybody have any good suggestions for the daks?

I'd recommend picking up a copy of "Day Trips with a Splash: Northeastern Swimming Holes". I believe it has quite a few for New York. It's been fun using the guide for holes throughout New England.

Just be aware that the info is probably now a bit dated for some, and directions can be a little wacky.

Another vote for Rattlesnake Pool

It is on private land, but open to the public. Found it a couple of years ago. My wife took this 5/28. I was so cold I couldn't breath and my lungs were about to explode, thus the grimace. It was awesome!

28blueberry52908-1.jpg

There is a great spot a few hundred yards above Franconia Falls with about a twenty foot jump.

And last, there is a great location on the Dry River about a 1/2 mile behind Dry River Campground.

KDT

If you go all the way up under the big fall,

Coppermine has a real nice wide hole. But it is wicked, pins-and-needles COLD, even in the dog days of summer :eek:

Although not about swimming holes per se, I like Waterfalls of the White Mountains: 30 Hikes to 100 Waterfalls by Bruce, Doreen, & Daniel Bolnick.

I don't dip often near the hwy, just crank up the AC and go home. But there was a lovely deep pool above Harvard Falls that I totally immersed in a few years ago.

The exception is if I'm hiking before an evening lecture when I want to be mildly presentable, I cooled off in Chocorua Lake one time.

There are so many swimming holes in the White Mountains that this could go on endlessly, but one that comes to mind that is worth the trip is Dry River falls. Amazing place, anyone ever find out exactly how deep the pothole above the falls is? With the sun on it you still cant see the bottom, has to be 20 feet deep at least. Some more: Beebe River, Whiteface, Pond Brook, upper Little River, upper East Branch, Carrigain Branch, Moriah Gorge is spectacular, upper Baker River, and many more. I found a real nice one on Hellgate Brook too that you have to bushwhack to. -Mattl

ADKnBVI said:
It's not really along a trail, but Sculptured Rock Natural Area near Newfound Lake is really beautiful, interesting and available to crazy swimmers.

http://www.barkeater.ws/nh48/images/SculpturedRocks/SculptRocksFrames.htm

Tim took a dip and froze his brain - and that was in August!

Valerie
The Elwell trail goes near both Sculptured and Welton. It starts down by Wellington beach on Newfound and heads up toward Cardigan. Being a native of the area, I can attest to both Sculptured Rocks and Welton Falls. At Sculptured the main pool has a hole worn through by a tree into the next basin. When we were kids we would dive under the tree through the hole into the next pool and freak out newbies who thought we never surfaced. The tree has since swept downstream but the hole through is known by locals or "lokos". Also there is a chamber with air in under the falls below the footbridge that can fit four. Some good times were had in there! ;) Welton was always known for water colder than the Atlantic even in late summer. Awesome after a hot sweaty day haying. Glad someone revived this. Should we get a swimminghole-bagging list going? ;)

Last edited:
Next time you're on the Kinsman Tr check above and below at the brook crossing above the old cabin site. Above the brook is a sweet fall into a pool with a pool above. Below is a great pool for swiming.

sculptured

Looks sweet. We would like to try it out, can I get directions how to get there???
Thanks.
B.