Allen-Skylight (via McDonnel-Little Nippletop)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PINPIN JUNIOR

Reaction score
Pinpin Junior made a dream and receives a special calll...

He will start from the usual Allen parking, early Friday 27 or Saturday 28 morning, to Allen- Skylight via McDonnel & Little Nippletop if all will go same of his dream He will past over Gray & Marcy to arrive before the dark time.....in Adk parking.

If You are in a good shape and like to hike with the rabbit, please e-mail me.

Pinpin Junior.:cool:

Pin-Pin,

I know you are are strong and experienced hiker but your plan reminds me of John Yip's plan. As you may recall, I led a recovery of Mr. Yip from atop Haystack Mtn. His plan also involved being exhausted in the Panther Gorge area. There is a lot of snow out there (I spent 14.5 hours trying to get to, up and from Seward, and didn't summit) and a lot of spruce traps b/n Allen and 4 corners beyond Skylight the first place where you could bail out. I hope you will be hiking with a strong team and will be prepared to spend the night out if need be. Good luck.

Carl Howard, #4258, winter 34er

Big Project

Hi Carlhoward.

Thank You for your support, if I will go this weekend it will be the third time a hike this similar project.

If We will see it will be too many spruce trap We will return.

This project will be in evolution with or without other people.

The forecast same perfect for this nice project..
I will give more precision tonight.

Thank You

Pinpin Junior.:)

Carl, thanks for voicing concern on what seems a tough to near impossible venture... but my bet is Pin Pin will do the traverse, bang out Gray to Marcy, then hit Tabletop and Phelps on his way to the Adk loj! ;)

For perspective, you're a W34er ... Pin Pin did the ADK 100 highest (and a couple more) in ONE winter.

Though Pin Pin, I wish you had broken out the Carry trail the other day on your way to Blake and Colvin (though it probably wouldn't have made much difference!)

other mere mortals

I wish we could enlist the strength of junior to help with our couchee plan for saturday. alas our ambition may not be as demanding as jr's but it will likely seem to be harder to mere mortals like us.

happy trails to everyone who plans to be out this weekend

pvon

My support to you , Juniour!!

Hey PINPIN Jr.!!!
I wish you the best and know that you can do it with style!!
Unfortunately, I am not free to join in the fun.

Best to you! and I look forward to your trip report.

PS. I think there is no comparison between you and Yip!! Not even close!

Allen on Saturday 2/28

I would love to do this. Actually, by this, I mean just Allen. And, of course, I don't have clearance yet. I live in Boston and am thinking of shooting up to the area Friday night, hitting the trail first thing Saturday. If PinPinJr is there, I could watch them disappear over the hill. I am not a slug, but neither am I a rabbit!

Anybody else round-tripping to Allen from the "usual lot" I would love to know if you want some company. Looks like a nice weekend for climbing. Also, any recommendations for lodging in the area??

-David

PS Is the usual lot obvious? I don't know this end Mtns, I always come in from the Keene Valley side.

I would recommend Aunt Polly's for lodging. It's right in Newcomb, and it's supposed to be quite nice. Plus, at $25 per person per night, the price isn't bad either. I've never stayed there, I've heard good things from other people. It is a bunkhouse with full kitchen, etc. The phone number is 518-582-2260.

Allen, Saturday, 2/28

I will be at the trailhead as soon as I can get my butt over from Schroon Lake Saturday a.m. Taking the advice of many wise friends (internet friends, I don't really know these people yet), I'll be chowing down at the Sugar Bowl, which opens, the proprietor tells me, at 4;30 tomorrow. I don't plan on eating till around 5:00, however.

So I guess that gets me to the trail head between 6:00 and 7:00. If you are looking for company my cell phone number is 617-823-6543. I am reasonably fit, not a triathelete, and have recently been up and down a few mountains up there (Cascade and Redfield early last week). This should be fun.

Happy trails, all,
David

Allen dream

Hi Carl,

You can sleep in your 2 ears!!

We started at 5.30 am and We are out now.

I need to prepare my dinner and I will put a report after.

Thank You Carl.

Pinpin Junior.:)