Is the Alpine Garden in Bloom?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper

Reaction score
After reading the very extensive thread on flowers a few weeks ago, I have decided to head on up to the Alpine Garden this week. Can anyone give me insight on the current state of the Flowers in the Garden. Thanks

On Monday 6/19, I thought the Alpine Garden was slightly past its peak....
most of the diapensia flowers had dropped but there were still a few prime patches. The avens were just blooming - intensely yellow! Lapland rosebay and alpine azalea were also gorgeous. Hope you get up there!

Returned for the Alpine Garden on Friday. It is definately passed it prime. Did get some fine photos which I will post later. Sunny day but 43 degrees and a 30 mph wind. We started down about 2:30, just as the clouds were coming in at 5500 feet.

This thread's a year old, so don't post "IT'S STILL COVERED IN SNOW AND ICE !!!" ;)

Can someone predict a peak for the garden, or post ahead of time (for us outta towners) when it might look good up there ?
I'm hoping it might be a little late this year. thanks

Mid June is a safe bet, with a caveat - spring temperatures and moisture can conspire to move that date in either direction.

In twenty consecutive visits to the Whites on the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day weekend, the diapensia have been in full bloom once, I believe because of an exceptionally hot and dry April and May that year.

You might want to check with the AMC/Pinkham Notch to get updates on the progress of the alpine bloom to help you nail your visit date.

Another vote for mid-June. If Audrey sees this thread maybe she'll chime in - she's an informed flower-watcher too.

Keep an eye on the trail conditions reports for the Presis also - sometimes people will add a comment about alpine flowers.

mid June gets a third from me.

Keep an eye on the Observer Comments at the MWO site, too, many of them are attuned to the stages of bloom.

Breeze

The pix at MW Observ don't convey lots of snow and ice.

Yes, mid-June, but don't go too late. I went back and found this post from June 11th last year, and there was a lot of stuff already fully bloomed. alpine zone hiking June 11th, 2007

The diapensia wasn't fully bloomed in these pics, but I think the rosebay is. There are also other things that bloom later, such as the bluebells and goldenrod.

The snowpack will probably melt off the area by the usual time, unlike other more protected areas.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
forestgnome said:
Yes, mid-June, but don't go too late. I went back and found this post from June 11th last year, and there was a lot of stuff already fully bloomed. alpine zone hiking June 11th, 2007
And on June 11th in 2005 everything was fully bloomed. I ran into the infamous forestgnome and his camera at the top of Huntington Ravine that day, and got caught in a thunderstorm. Keep in mind Tucks was still closed at this time, and folks were sledding on a few remaining upper snowfields. The garden itself was snow-free.

depends what you're looking for.

Diapensia + alpine azalea bloom about the same time, usually during the entire month of June (rarely in the last few days of May in the southern Presis). Bearberry willow about the same. Lapland rosebay seems to have a shorter season, maybe the middle 2-3 wks of June.

There are some secondary "waves" of bloom time. Some of the more obscure & harder-to-find plants (mountain heath, moss plant, moss campion) peak around the end of June/beginning of July, are out for only a week or two. Mountain avens is out usually between very late June and early August & is the major sight in the Alpine Garden during those times. Boott's rattlesnake root is in bloom briefly from late July to early August. and forestgnome mentioned the others. Best time to visit Tuckerman Ravine (asters & arnica & some other stuff) is probably during the month of August.

There is some slight geographical/altitudinal variation so if you're looking for something particular & it's too late in the southern presis, go over to Madison or Adams instead. (& the opposite if you get here earlier)