Damn Shirt Will Not Stay Tucked In

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I just can's seem to keep my damn shirt tucked into my pants while I hike. Perhaps it's a combination of all the movement, or the pack pushing my pants down. Suspenders on the pants don't seem to do the trick either. I can't tell you how often I have to stop to tuck my shirt in and pull my pants up. Does anyone know of a one piece base layer (Bergelene, Capilene, polypropylene, etc.)? I'm looking for a boxer bottom and a long sleeve top with zip turtle neck all in one. I think something like this would be perfect. Otherwise, I'll be forced to dust off the sewing machine and butcher some of my clothing as I try to do it myself.

On another note, does anyone know of some kind of strap that's sold to go under crotch and keep shirt tucked in?

John

Yes, there is a one piece... and it's driving me crazy because i can't think of the name of them. They have a trap door in back, too. My shirt pulls up some too, but usually only on the real tough scrambles... which of course is the only hikes you do!

Patagonia used to make one years ago. Damn, what were they called!!!??? I think it is a person's name... hmm, not a johnny suit...

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday, Johnnycakes! Another late February birthday boy.

Last edited:
i gave up on keeping the shirt tucked in a long time ago. i could ask my mom to make you a couple of "onesies" with a zipper in the back like she made for my grandfather when he started to get so senile he was undressing everywhere...they actually looked quite comfortable...

Johnnycakes said:
...On another note, does anyone know of some kind of strap that's sold to go under crotch and keep shirt tucked in?
John
I've never seen a strap that goes under the crotch for that purpose (sounds like it'd be bleedin' uncomfortable), but there is such a thing as a "shirt garter". My son attends the AF Academy and the cadets use them to keep their shirts in for inspections. They're kind of like a one-legged elastic suspender that clips on the shirt-tail and runs down and clips on the top of your sock. I have no idea where you'd find one, but you could try a uniform supply store.

You could sew in some "tie-downs" like the "goons" in the NHL use to keep their shirts from being pulled over their heads during fights!

Strapping the Wrapping

I seem to remember that our wool football jersies, the game-day uniforms, had a piece of fabric, sewn to the back of the shirt, that went down between your legs and then buttoned on the front side, to keep the shirt from pulling out. And you're right, it wasn't too comfortable! Wow - I haven't thought about that in a good long time....

I always have to get tall clothes or I get the same problem. The regular sizes in these stores are just too short. If the sleeve length is short when you reach up it'll pull up the lower also.
Anyway I never buy anything that's not Tall. Even my Arc Teryex pack is Tall. LL usually has a good genuine tall selection if they carry what you want. I've seen tall sizes in othe stores that don't have the same extra length as LLBean has.

Hope this helps

I have a copy of Paul Petzold's NOLS Wilderness handbook(1974) and it has a description of a garment that they made for all of their training situations. They took a loose knit wool sweater and cut it off below the armholes. This was sewn to the bottom of another loose knit sweater so it extended at least 6 inches below the crotch. They recommended a loose kneck or button type so as not to be restrictive. It was a multi use garment for layering, alone on warmer days, or lounging around camp. By using the loose knit, they claim it would hold less moisture so as not to get heavy. I should make one of these for myself. It could start a real fashion trend:D

Johnny- the military has a type of strap that goes from the shirt and attaches to the socks - keeps socks up and shirts tucked in. I am not sure if this would work for you. I work on a military base and cna pick a set up for you if you are interested. send me a pm if you are

The Patagonia Stretch Krushell has a crotch strap to keep the bottom hem of the jacket from riding up. You could make one easily by sewing a button to the inside of the shirt hem, front and rear, then sewing an appropriately-length strip with a buttonhole at each end. The strip would be removable and the buttons would be hidden.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to try wearing a belt first. You would think I would have thought of that, but I never liked wearing a belt underneath a hip belt. If that doesn't work, I might buy myself a poly union suit, and then cut the legs off.

John

CRAFT

CRAFT makes a zip turtle neck in polypro that goes down past your butt. it is used for cycling but i use it for snowshoeing just for that reason.

tracy

You need to find a bib-style shell or bib tights. These have a built in higher back, sometimes as a one piece suit or with suspenders. Runners, cross countyr skiers, bike riders wear various varieties. bib tights BTW you might be a red-neck. When you hear someone preach, "Say no to crack", are you reminded to pull up your pants?

Velcro?

A more permanent solution along the line of duct tape is to sew velcro along the bottom of the sirt and to the inside of your pants.

Hey John,
I don't like wearing a pants belt under a hip belt either, but if you select one of those thin nylon or cotton web belts it won't bother you as much. They tend to get missed by the hip belt movement.
I am tall and have always looked for shirts with extra long tails. If they don't tuck under my butt, I don't buy them.
The tape/velcro idea sounded good too, but I don't know if I'd want to put velcro on my butt. Taking it off would be an experience.
Tom