A day on the AT with M&M aka hikethe115

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, it would be really cool (assuming she were interested) if someone could pick Dawn up and take her to Bearly Live on Saturday, then return her to the trail. She certainly seemed to enjoy herself at the Winter Gathering, and I'll bet she'd love to see lots of VFTT people.

Any takers? Anyone who will see her this week who could ask if she wants a little musical trail magic?

I met up with Dawn, aka Hikethe115, aka M&M slightly south of VT 11 in Manchester on Saturday morning. She had put in 9-ish miles by 10 a.m. She was hiking with a guy called Poots and I brought both smelly happy hikers back to Springfield, VT for a little off trail hospitality. If ever you need to cover up the smell of thru hikers in your car, salt and vinegar potato chips does a pretty good job, that is until they are all eaten. Then it's back to stink heaven! So we had all afternoon and evening to hang out and hear stories. Did the usual shower, laundry, grocery shop, beer/booze run, dinner decision, etc. I made them steaks on the grill, boiled baby red potatoes to dip in melted butter and asparagus.

Took them back to the trail this morning after doing a car spot with Chip (my husband) on the other side of Bromely. So they slack-packed for 5 miles and were happy for that. Funny seeing a thru-hiker with nothing but a bottle of water!

She's doing fine, having an enviously great time and looking forward to seeing other hiking friends out on the trails of her home territory!

M&M can bite me, as she took my free loading bed. I am not impressed. She might find a few traps set up in Maine that will end her little journey....Awww too bad for her.

spongebob said:
M&M can bite me, as she took my free loading bed. I am not impressed. She might find a few traps set up in Maine that will end her little journey....Awww too bad for her.

We know you're jealous that Dawn got to hang out at the Disco Dump in the Simpsons hometown while you were just chillin' with boring old Rainier in sight, but you don't have to be mean about it. Sheesh! :p

Met up with Dawn, Toe Cozy and Chip at the Bromley Shelter. Dawn was lookin' good (probably feeling pretty good too...slackpackin's the only way to go!) We hung back at the shelter thinkin' maybe we'd meet again later in the day headin' N, but they were long gone by the time we got up to Bromely Mtn. Cool to see ya all!

ran into 3 thru hikers near greylock summit yesterday. bs'ed with them for about 5 minutes. I had forgotten dawns trailname - but just said I kind of know this women from NY and we had mutual freinds - and they knew her and said - probably M&M! - in fact one guy had started with her back in GA. I never did think to get their names.

we chatted about the views and brews thing for a minute - even though I had never been on a views and brews hike (though I really must!)

they asked if I knew where she was - I said I thought she was in NH - but sounds like she is in VT - sorry guys. :eek:

Those 3 sounded like they were having the time of their lives. Very upbeat. :D

Last edited:
Woodstock, VT, Aug 3rd.. And to think I hiked all the 4000'rs there this past weekend and didn't know it til now. We drove through woodstock area on Sunday on our way home and hiked Killington from Brewer's Corners... What an awesome weekend to be on and about the LT/AT in VT, very nice! We ran into a couple of thruhikers at the shelter below the Killington Spur trail and I'm glad they are having some fine weather for that section of the LT/AT.

Jay

I ran into a few Thru hikers Saturday in S-VT who knew Dawn too! I forget their names but one had "the big lebowski" as a sub-trail name of sorts (one guy: the big lebowski was from NJ, the other older guy was from TX). They last saw her in Tennessee. They knew all about Views and Brews :) Pretty cool! :)

I'll be picking up M&M at VT 14 this afternoon for an evening of swimming (hopefully. yucky weather), homebrews, and whatever she needs to get done. Tomorrow morning we are both being dropped off at vt14 and hiking to the nh border together. So she'll be crossing the line sometime tomorrow, probably noonish. She'd been taking some time off or she would have been in NH a while before now.
She was making such good time further south it's nice she has the chance to enjoy the northern states and all of us at her leisure.

As of August 26th, Dawn/M&M has entered Maine..... Just keeping things updated..

:)

Jay

Jay H said:
As of August 26th, Dawn/M&M has entered Maine..... Just keeping things updated..

:)

Jay

Jay, do you know if Dawn has a planned date to finish? If so would she like company? Gail hasn't ever been to Baxter and it would be great to be there for Dawn's finish. :)

Fred, read her trailjournal, she has estimated possibly finishing on th 17th as being 6 months from the start, but said that most likely by the 26th...

Jay

Jay H said:

Harry K and I were in New Hampshire last week (haven't had time to write a TR yet) and we hung out w/ Dawn and her AT posse at the condo Tuesday night. Wednesday morning (8/22) we dropped them off at the Rattle River trailhead in Gorham, so they were starting the last section of New Hampshire that day. I think they would have entered Maine within a day or two of that. They had intentionally slowed down somewhat in the Whites, and had taken a zero on Tuesday, but they were definitely all feeling great and hiking strong.

Matt

A little secret has been exposed. Here is the family portrait of M&M's family.

It has to be true.......it was on the TV!

family.gif

Even a family movie!

OK.......OK.... we have a strange sense of humor.

I had my hike ruined by seeing stupid M&M on the AT near Sugarloaf on Saturday. Ewwww.....

At least her town shirt is grommet free.