Difficult Peaks in the NH 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurous

Reaction score
I have completed the ADK 46 and will now start working on the peaks in NH. I don't want to wait until the end to do the hard/dreaded peaks. I also don't have much experience in the Whites so I'm looking to you to give me your opinions on which ones you found to be the hardest. Are there any that you wouldn't want to do again?

If you learn anything from this post remember this:

The worst NH4000 peaks aren't as bad as the worst ADK46 peaks.

Owl's head is generally hated by many due to distance and lack of views. Isolation is far but its not a hard hike (and the views rock). The carters are kinda annoying (except carter dome which is an awesome peak). Those carters are usually bagged with Carter Dome anyways... Usually the slogs in the whites are rewarded with awesome views. Honestly I personally never cared for Galehead but the only time I climbed it was after a long day and I was not enthusiastic about hitting the little spur trail before slinking off to my camp!

I really don't think there is anything that compares to the Sewards or (from what everyone tells me) the Santanonis.

Last edited:
Marc covered the two biggies; Owlshead and Isolation. The Bonds are a long way for a dayhike but exceedingly rewarding and often done as an overnight with Guyot shelter close by. Beyond that, all can be done as relatively easy dayhikes.

NH48 vs ADK46

I live in NH and am about 50% of the way through the NH48. Over the 4th of July holiday, I went to the Adirondacks to accompany my father-in-law as he finished his ADK46 on Seward. I have never seen *anything* in NH as bad as that. :p What a nasty excuse for a trail. When I commented on the trail conditions, my husband responded with "That's nothing, you should have seen the Santanonis and Allen". He called me a "trail snob" when I was whining about wanting to go back to NH after about my 100th stab from some piece of cripplebrush . :D

NH has the luxury of trails with history. Crawford, Edmands, Davis trails are all so old and established. They really took the time to find the right path up each mountain. They were also usually trying to accomodate horses.

I haven't found any trails so far that I really thought were particularly nasty in NH. The only summits that I'm not excited about returning to are Waumbek (just a bit boring) and Osceola/East Osceola. That last trip was probably impacted more by humidity and bugs, and so I remember it worse than it was.

Good luck and have fun!

p.s. per my username, you can tell that I started out in the ADKs before moving to NH. Now, only the NE115 list will get me out to some of those more remote peaks in NY. Ha ha!

David Metsky said:
Marc covered the two biggies; Owlshead and Isolation. The Bonds are a long way for a dayhike but exceedingly rewarding and often done as an overnight with Guyot shelter close by. Beyond that, all can be done as relatively easy dayhikes.
Even the bushwhack section to Isolation is turning into a herd path, I hear, and becoming rather easy. Owl's Head is a bit long but pretty easy.

You can make any one of the NH48 easy or challenging depending on what you want to do.

-Dr. Wu

Hardest peaks - it's all relative

A lot depends on the route you choose to climb. I personally enjoyed Isolation, but hiked it the long way (up the Crawford Path and Mizpah Cutoff, down the Mt Clinton Trail and Dry River Cutoff, camped near the Dry River, and then took the Isolation and Davis Trails to the summit). On the other hand, I hiked back down the Dry River Trail, which I hated at the end of the day due to poor footing and its numerous ups and downs.

Now that I think about it, there are some trails that I find either particularly tough or particularly monotonous, which has more to do with it than the peak they climb. Some tough trails are rewarding (for example, King Ravine to Mt Adams) whereas others, like the Dry River Trail, are just tougher than I expected it to be, with no real redeeming qualities such as good views. Of course, my likes and dislikes aren't going to be the same as someone else's. It also depends on how I felt the day I hiked a trail, and my expectations of the hike.

Trails that I have an aversion to include the Dry River Trail (which you can use to climb to Washington), the Fishin' Jimmy (too many ups and downs), the Wildcat Ridge Trail between Wildcat A and E (I liked the steep part up from Pinkham Notch, and the descent into Carter Notch, just not the in between), and the Downes Brook Trail to Mt Whiteface (endless water crossings). On the other hand, unlike many, I actually enjoy ending a hike on the Wilderness Trail after a long day, and I didn't mind the hike to Owl's Head (except for the section of the Lincoln Brook Trail between Owl's Head and 13 Falls, which is very hard to follow in a thunderstorm as it's getting dark).

The King Ravine Trail is a tough route to Mt Adams, but it was interesting, so it wasn't drudgery. The same is true for many other steep trails such as North Slide to the Tripyramids or the Flume Slide.

The first time I did Mt Zealand was drugery in wet decaying spring snow on the Twinway above Zealand Hut. The second time, in summer, where I came up from Zealand Rd, but continued on to Guyot and the Bonds, coming down the Bondcliff and Wilderness Trails to Lincoln Woods, was one of my favorite hikes, even though it was a long day. Similarly, the first time I climbed Mt Tom via the Avalon and A-Z Trails was a nightmare in spring snow (the A-Z Trail was not marked all that well for winter travel), whereas the next time, when I traversed the Willey Range, coming up the Ethan Pond Trail and down the A-Z and Avalon Trails, was a joy.

I've only done the Hancocks once (Spring snow again), and there isn't too much of choice of trails there.

The Caps Ridge Trail up Mt Jefferson was rewarding, not long, with a number of steep but interesting sections with lots of views. The Falling Waters Trail up to Lincoln and Lafayette is also interesting with lots of variety (several falls/cascades plus Shining Rock).

Actually, there are so many nice trails, it's often hard to choose. At any rate, like I said, I think it depends on your route. In most cases, you can choose a route up a peak that suits your personal preferences for trails, limiting drudgery and maximizing enjoyment. My one problem is deciding which trail to take next. I have favorites, but I also like trying different routes up the same peaks.

Other routes that I probably won't do again include Mt Tecumseh from the ski area (not hard, just monotonous),

NH 48 Death Marches

Sugarloafer said:
This site has some pretty good info for someone planning an attack on the NH 48. It ranks easiest and hardest and gives some distance and time data that might be good for planning :

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/index.html

If you are looking to do some hard 4k hikes, or knock off a bunch at once, that same website has a list of several nice death marches! Death Marches FAQ

Good luck,
Marty
P.S. Mohamed, thanks as always for this amazing website :D

In the Whites it is really a matter of routes - any of the peaks/routes with over 3-4000 feet of gain are longer and/or tougher. There are easier ways (Ammo/Jewell) to do Washington, and tougher (Huntington)...there are a few routes that have some scrambles and exposure that may not be for everyone - Great Gully and King Ravine to Adams - but these are not the "usual" routes...as others have pointed out there are a few that are longer treks - the Bonds, Iso, Owl's Head...it is all good - good luck and have fun with it! :)

Great stuff!!! Thanks for all the info. I don't really mind getting beat up in the Adirondacks...it adds to the adventure. Just finished the 46 in the Santanoni's and had a blast in the Seward range. My favorite is the intermittent herd path between Gray and Marcy. I'm looking forward to the adventures that the Whites will bring and will surely look to you guys/gals for advice.