Blueberries, Blue Sky, Big Boats and Belknap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Today was an awesome day, weather-wise. I couldn't stand staying home, so I talked the family into a trip to Mount Major. This was the biggest hike to date for my kids, 7 and 4.5. We got there aiming to have lunch on the summit. The lot was nearly full, as expected.

The first half mile or so are mostly flat on a wide trail, probably used for snowmobiling in the winter. After that first half mile, the trail splits with the blue-blazed Mount Major trail heading up to the left. This has some scrambles and ledges and was challenging for the kids, but not ever dangerous. The views of Alton Bay below reward you for climbing even half way up. Lots of white streaks trailing behind the boats.

At the top we ate PB sandwiches, and then I pulled out some leftover birthday cake from Amanda's 7th birthday for dessert. After eating, enjoying the views, and some climbing on the old stone foundation, we headed towards Straightback Mountain and down the Brook Trail (yellow blazes). This is a more gentle grade, without any cliffs and zero views, but was the right thing for the kids after the effort they made. The Brook Trail rejoins the main trail where the Mount Major Trail turned left on the way up. This loop is about 4+ miles and 1150' of elevation.

All over the top of the mountain, and towards Straightback, the blueberries are coming into full ripening. We refilled the empty sandwich bags in about 15 minutes, including snacking.

Here's a panorama from the summit. You can just make out Franconia on the left, but the Sandwich Range was pretty visible, including Welch-Dickey, Sandwich Dome, Tripyramid, Sleeper(s), Whiteface and Passaconaway.

The rest of the photos are all family ones, so I won't inline them here.

Wild blueberry pancakes for breakfast!! Yum.

Tim

Sounds like a great family hike, Tim, and a nice way to spend the day. To able to enjoy wild blueberries as well is such a treat.

Mount Major

Mount Major is a great hike. One of the best views for the smallest effort. I took all of my sons there when they were young, a great place for kids to get their mountain legs. Probably why it's so popular. If you get a chance try the Boulder Loop if you haven't already. It leaves from the south side of the parking lot and wraps around the southside before turning back north towards the summit. Some interesting rocks to climb on without the difficulty of the ledges on the main trail. Like the Brook Trail it is less used than the main trail.

Thanks for the blueberry report, I'll be visiting soon!

KD Talbot

funny.... i read your report yesterday, and jumped in the car to go for some blueberries... well, i got right up to the top in time to see the thunderhead approaching... knowing it was going to get wet, i too took the Brook Trail down, as the slabs on the front side were going to be slippery on the way down. indeed, i lapped a couple that i passed a bit before the top on my way back down the .75 (?) main path.

got drenched on the summit, but made haste back to the car... got some blueberries... another day or two of bright sun ripening and they'll be perfect!

Tim,

Good one! Thanks for sharing.

An easy hike with free food as part of the reward... What's not to like about that! :D

Since you made no comment I assume the knees cooperated for the day. I hope that's the case and your rehabilitation continues. I look forward to seeing you on the trails soon.

Earl

The knees have been pretty good recently. As a rule, they can handle what my kids can handle ("the silver lining"). I did spent a while staring into the Sandwich Range... Whiteface, Passaconaway and Sandwich Dome are all very visible.

The 'problem' with blueberries is the kids love 'em and so they stopped to graze every few steps, which slowed down progress.

I'm still not up to "BIGEarl" elevation changes, but I am hopeful I will be able to jump in and join you at some point. Won't be this year, however.

Tim

p.s. The blueberry pancakes were most delicious.