more New England mountain lion rumors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether Bobcat or Mountain Lion, it's pretty crazy there's a big cat roaming around Manch!

Whether Bobcat or Mountain Lion, it's pretty crazy there's a big cat roaming around Manch!
a couple of links for the curious here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar
I left out Jaguars,do not believe they get this far north.Seems the tail is too short for a m.l. It seems the creature is too close to the ground to be a m.l.Bobcat maybe?
It figures I got to go to Manch. today for a catering job,I would have been safer in the mountains. Cat might still be hungry!

Last edited:
Quote from this article (http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/06/14/tech-cougars-growth-midwest.html):

"One male cougar made its way as far as Connecticut, where it was hit and killed by a vehicle."

I'm still curious as to how that cougar got across the Hudson River, heading toward my town on the Merritt Parkway. It's a long swim under the Tappan Zee bridge and a dangerous run over it. I recall reading a suggestion that he had travelled as far north as the 1000 Islands area, perhaps, then down the Hudson's east side.

Last edited:
The cat could have swam the Hudson a bit further north..... cougars and deer both can swim when they need to.

That's right. The cat was documented as having passed through the Lake George area (NYS DEC had this info, but kept it secret for a year until the cat was killed by the car in CT). So he probably crossed the Hudson way up here where it's ankle deep.

It's funny but I was talking to a gentleman from Groveton who said that last week he saw a moutain lion run in front of his truck (like we drive anything else up here). He said it was close to the fairgrounds and was headed toward the Conn. river. He "claims" this is his second sighting close to that location. A coincidence?????

Well, I saw one in Whitefield two Saturdays ago. Here's a copy of the note I sent to F&G documenting it.

I saw a mountain lion today in Whitefield. I was driving south on Rt 3 behind two other cars (a Volvo wagon and a Cadillac) at 3:45pm, when the cat dashed out in front of the Volvo and ran into the woods. This happened just south of the Mountain View.

I know I have no evidence to back this up but hopefully someone in one of the other cars might have reported it to you also. I am a very experienced outdoorsman and have good vision and it was not raining at that time. The cat was too big to have been a bobcat and had a tail unlike the stubby one that you'd see on a lynx. I don't know what else it could possibly have been.

Obviously there's no way I can prove this.I spent the next hour trying to talk myself into believing that it wasn't a mountain lion but there's nothing else it could possibly have been. I never heard back from F&G which isn't surprising. But I KNOW what I saw. It was a mountain lion, no way it wasn't.

Bob

Well, I saw one in Whitefield two Saturdays ago. Here's a copy of the note I sent to F&G documenting it.

I saw a mountain lion today in Whitefield. I was driving south on Rt 3 behind two other cars (a Volvo wagon and a Cadillac) at 3:45pm, when the cat dashed out in front of the Volvo and ran into the woods. This happened just south of the Mountain View.

I know I have no evidence to back this up but hopefully someone in one of the other cars might have reported it to you also. I am a very experienced outdoorsman and have good vision and it was not raining at that time. The cat was too big to have been a bobcat and had a tail unlike the stubby one that you'd see on a lynx. I don't know what else it could possibly have been.

Obviously there's no way I can prove this.I spent the next hour trying to talk myself into believing that it wasn't a mountain lion but there's nothing else it could possibly have been. I never heard back from F&G which isn't surprising. But I KNOW what I saw. It was a mountain lion, no way it wasn't.

Bob
My guess would be someones tossed out pet that got too big.I am still inclined to believe any sightings are most likely a illegal pet escaped or gotten rid of.More people are claiming they have seen them,so I am inclined to believe you....

Originally Posted by dentonfabrics
I don't know what else it could possibly have been.

"A golden retriever?" :D

Seriously...I believe you and you are very fortunate to have enjoyed a siting.

Last edited:

Bob

Sounds like the same one you saw was also seen nearby by a heavily credentialed wildlife expert:

http://www.newhampshirelakesandmoun...os-County-Democrat-c-2012-06-26-156583.113119

Hope the link works- if not check today's Union Leader online.

Another family in the north central MA town in which I live has evidence that seems credible to them, and me as well. In their discussions of this evidence with F & G, they've been told their evidence is inadequate. They've gathered more, and have been told that that too is inadequate, and have been on this carousel a few times. They've been told that nearly anything they can gather would be considered inadequate. Otherwise, regulations for endangered species and other measures would need to be considered for the area. Apparently, and this is what they have been told, political pressures are such that the pressure against recognizing these (or other endangered) creatures is extreme. The consequences in terms of land regulations are said to be overwhelming, which is what drives the political pressure.