more New England mountain lion rumors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That lynx must have moved here from Vail. They're still looking for the lynx that the EPA claims is there.

Saw this today on Facebook:

375360_265116933545645_127001910690482_767979_1800494594_n.jpg

Cougar stalking a mule deer - purportedly taken by a USFS Trail camera near Hood River, Oregon.

I thought it was a Golden Retriever...

Saw some fresh mountain lion tracks on my long run this weekend (south-central California coastal mountains) but, unfortunately, the critter remained out of sight. I have seen tracks a bunch off times, and a group of us was once doing a night run and heard a cat screech a couple of times, but... I WANT TO SEE ONE! Preferably one that has just had a nice big meal. :D

Heard about a cougar siting in Leverett a while back.
I do not want to become the "scientific" proof required when I go hiking in that area.

This is what happened in Boulder. The kid that was killed while riding his bike became the required "proof" of what some people had been saying for quite some time.
"The Beast in the Garden."

This is an interesting web site. http://explorewmass.blogspot.com/2010/08/massachusetts-mountain-lions-and.html

Last edited:
I hate to state the obvious, but a picture from a game camera in Oregon has absolutely no bearing on supposed sightings of big cats in New England or anywhere in the East, for that matter. But, I probably should just give up on this, and stop reading these threads ....

I hate to state the obvious, but a picture from a game camera in Oregon has absolutely no bearing on supposed sightings of big cats in New England or anywhere in the East, for that matter. But, I probably should just give up on this, and stop reading these threads ....

Yeah, I know - I just thought people would get a kick out of what a verified sighting in the East might look like some day.

Yeah, I know - I just thought people would get a kick out of what a verified sighting in the East might look like some day.

It's a good pic and they do "lurk". At least with a griz you might get some warning. Lions just seem to come out of nowhere. "Gotcha!"

Saw some fresh mountain lion tracks on my long run this weekend (south-central California coastal mountains) but, unfortunately, the critter remained out of sight. I have seen tracks a bunch off times, and a group of us was once doing a night run and heard a cat screech a couple of times, but... I WANT TO SEE ONE! Preferably one that has just had a nice big meal. :D

I hope you see one some day as they are something to see, they are both magnificent and indimidating at the same time. I saw one at the base on Mt. Dana before my ascent and had one stalk me on the Crags route of Pikes Peak for over 20 minutes. The one on Pikes left me with one of the most exciting days Ive ever spent in the mountains, while beautifull, let me tell not much scares me in the woods, but that lion had my heart racing for the whole interlude we shared together. Would I like them to be in the Whites? Im not sure, while I love them for the great animals they are, they would raise the bar as far as safety in the backcountry for sure, espechally at night and for those with dogs.

Maine Watch in Maine had a segment with a state biologist. He was in the camp that cougar sitings in NNE are a result of western cougars roaming and that there was no breeding population in the area.

Maine Watch in Maine had a segment with a state biologist. He was in the camp that cougar sitings in NNE are a result of western cougars roaming and that there was no breeding population in the area.

Im no biologist, but Ii tend to doubt that these are western cougars. I mean thats a long distance and a long time for an animal to have no home or established range which I know cougars favor. But that is just speculation on my part.

What I thought was most interesting is that the cat was stalking the deer. Always think of them as an ambush predator, waiting for something, or occasionally, someone to wander to close.

Hard for me (as the dull tack) to imagine the deer has no clue what is behind him, after all they are pretty skittish & neither seem to shoe any reaction to the flash. Wouldn't the deer have triggered it when it first entered the line of sight of the trigger device on the camera.

Again, I admit to not being very bright, but I'm also a skeptic. If this ends up being a photoshop hoax, I won't be greatly surprised. "You mean everything on FB isn't true? I better get rid of my "I taught Ed Visteurs everything comment." :D

What I thought was most interesting is that the cat was stalking the deer. Always think of them as an ambush predator, waiting for something, or occasionally, someone to wander to close.

Hard for me (as the dull tack) to imagine the deer has no clue what is behind him, after all they are pretty skittish & neither seem to shoe any reaction to the flash. Wouldn't the deer have triggered it when it first entered the line of sight of the trigger device on the camera.

Again, I admit to not being very bright, but I'm also a skeptic. If this ends up being a photoshop hoax, I won't be greatly surprised. "You mean everything on FB isn't true? I better get rid of my "I taught Ed Visteurs everything comment." :D

Stalking is exactly how a lion hunts, not to say an ambush is unlikely but they prefer stalking and are quite hard to detect, even for a deer.

real lion in CO

Go to 14ers.com, forums "general mountaineering" thread Here kitty kitty. A sad but good look at a big cat.

I saw this from John Harrigan's column in the Union Leader from the on-line version today. Quebec is a little far away, but Lancaster, not so much.

"On the mountain lion scene, an article in a Sherbrooke, Quebec, paper related an apparent cougar attack on a horse, with a photo of deep wounds on the horse's neck. This is the second such report sent my way from Quebec's Eastern Townships...Closer to home, Lancaster's Bob Elwell reported seeing a cougar dashing across Pleasant Valley Road in front of his vehicle one morning last month. Bob, a no-nonsense guy, once worked on camera systems for Skylab and the U-2 spy plane. It was his second mountain lion sighting, the other occurring several years ago in his yard."

Lancaster

It's funny but I was talking to a gentleman from Groveton who said that last week he saw a moutain lion run in front of his truck (like we drive anything else up here). He said it was close to the fairgrounds and was headed toward the Conn. river. He "claims" this is his second sighting close to that location. A coincidence?????