Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: more New England mountain lion rumors

FWIW there are coyote in Manhattan. I could see a coyote or cat trotting across a bridge.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by bandana4me View Post
    It's funny but I was talking to a gentleman from Groveton who said that last week he saw a moutain lion run in front of his truck (like we drive anything else up here). He said it was close to the fairgrounds and was headed toward the Conn. river. He "claims" this is his second sighting close to that location. A coincidence?????
    Well, I saw one in Whitefield two Saturdays ago. Here's a copy of the note I sent to F&G documenting it.

I saw a mountain lion today in Whitefield. I was driving south on Rt 3 behind two other cars (a Volvo wagon and a Cadillac) at 3:45pm, when the cat dashed out in front of the Volvo and ran into the woods. This happened just south of the Mountain View.

I know I have no evidence to back this up but hopefully someone in one of the other cars might have reported it to you also. I am a very experienced outdoorsman and have good vision and it was not raining at that time. The cat was too big to have been a bobcat and had a tail unlike the stubby one that you'd see on a lynx. I don't know what else it could possibly have been.

Obviously there's no way I can prove this.I spent the next hour trying to talk myself into believing that it wasn't a mountain lion but there's nothing else it could possibly have been. I never heard back from F&G which isn't surprising. But I KNOW what I saw. It was a mountain lion, no way it wasn't.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dentonfabrics View Post
    Well, I saw one in Whitefield two Saturdays ago. Here's a copy of the note I sent to F&G documenting it.

I saw a mountain lion today in Whitefield. I was driving south on Rt 3 behind two other cars (a Volvo wagon and a Cadillac) at 3:45pm, when the cat dashed out in front of the Volvo and ran into the woods. This happened just south of the Mountain View.

I know I have no evidence to back this up but hopefully someone in one of the other cars might have reported it to you also. I am a very experienced outdoorsman and have good vision and it was not raining at that time. The cat was too big to have been a bobcat and had a tail unlike the stubby one that you'd see on a lynx. I don't know what else it could possibly have been.

Obviously there's no way I can prove this.I spent the next hour trying to talk myself into believing that it wasn't a mountain lion but there's nothing else it could possibly have been. I never heard back from F&G which isn't surprising. But I KNOW what I saw. It was a mountain lion, no way it wasn't.

Bob
    My guess would be someones tossed out pet that got too big.I am still inclined to believe any sightings are most likely a illegal pet escaped or gotten rid of.More people are claiming they have seen them,so I am inclined to believe you....
    ne67/n.e.h.h.31/100w

Originally Posted by dentonfabrics
    I don't know what else it could possibly have been.
    "A golden retriever?"

Seriously...I believe you and you are very fortunate to have enjoyed a siting.
    Last edited by Maddy; 06-20-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dentonfabrics View Post

Bob
    Sounds like the same one you saw was also seen nearby by a heavily credentialed wildlife expert:

http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...-156583.113119

Hope the link works- if not check today's Union Leader online.

Trail adopter Dry river Cut-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    That siting happened within 2 miles and 2 weeks of the mountain lion I saw last month. I feel vindicated!

Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
    Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    This is Science Daily's take on the same Journal of Wildlife Management article that Mac's CBC post was focusing on. Just a slightly different angle.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0614082625.htm

Another family in the north central MA town in which I live has evidence that seems credible to them, and me as well. In their discussions of this evidence with F & G, they've been told their evidence is inadequate. They've gathered more, and have been told that that too is inadequate, and have been on this carousel a few times. They've been told that nearly anything they can gather would be considered inadequate. Otherwise, regulations for endangered species and other measures would need to be considered for the area. Apparently, and this is what they have been told, political pressures are such that the pressure against recognizing these (or other endangered) creatures is extreme. The consequences in terms of land regulations are said to be overwhelming, which is what drives the political pressure.

"The Men in Black" is not fiction. If F & G had one of these

they would have used it by now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIBMemoryNeuralizer.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	3915  
    Last edited by Little Rickie; 07-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

It sounds like F&G thinks there are an awful lot of wild Golden Retrievers around new England.
    Spiral out, keep going. - Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Another family in the north central MA town in which I live has evidence that seems credible to them, and me as well. In their discussions of this evidence with F & G, they've been told their evidence is inadequate. They've gathered more, and have been told that that too is inadequate, and have been on this carousel a few times. They've been told that nearly anything they can gather would be considered inadequate. Otherwise, regulations for endangered species and other measures would need to be considered for the area. Apparently, and this is what they have been told, political pressures are such that the pressure against recognizing these (or other endangered) creatures is extreme.
    Is the classification of Eastern mountain lions extinct or endangered?The eastern mountain lion is considered extinct.... here is a map http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...e_map_2010.png
    I still believe most legit sitings are escaped or turned loose pets....
    ne67/n.e.h.h.31/100w

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
    I still believe most legit sitings are escaped or turned loose pets....
    I still believe a big hungry cat in the woods is a big hungry cat in the woods .

Sounds like this Whitefield one is stuck east of the Ct River for a while maybe ?
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    It sounds like F&G thinks there are an awful lot of wild Golden Retrievers around new England.
    YES!!! And they are all runaways! I was told it was because they do not like their natural organic dog food.