Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: more New England mountain lion rumors

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Quote Originally Posted by :
    DougPaul
    Cougar is another name for mountain lion. (As are puma and panther.)

Lynx is a distinct species.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by SAR-EMT40
    Catamount is another name for Cougar.

Keith
    Well, now that you guys have started it -- you'd better finish!

Painter, American lion, wild cat, California lion, silver lion, red tiger, brown tiger, deer tiger, and whistler.

OK, who's next?
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Eastern Connecticut Avatar:I Like my Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by sardog1
    Painter, American lion, wild cat, California lion, silver lion, red tiger, brown tiger, deer tiger, and whistler.

OK, who's next?
    Yeah, Painter and whistler. Where did they come up with those. Never heard of one doing either.

And I am almost certain that we don't have any "California lion" in Connecticut.

Keith
    "The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information."- Ed Abbey

Not sure about " whistler ", but I believe " painter " is southern Appalachian mountain slang for panther...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sardog1

OK, who's next?
    "Figments of over-active I-mag-in-a-tions ! "

Actually I have no doubt there are a couple big cats out here, males have something like a 300 square mile range that does not overlap with other males. I also believe, however, most sightings are coyote or lynx. The "Fed Cover-up" has a long history. Farmers in the mid-west, and maybe northeast, believe cougars have been re-intoduced by "The Man" into specific areas to help control deer populations and now refuse to acknowledge that "fact". Who knows.

It's all about habitat, baby. Habitat for many species has improved dramatically in the northeast in the last 200 years. Couple that with little or no hunting and animal populations that once were extirpated are now booming or have been replaced by another.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    Actually I have no doubt there are a couple big cats out here, males have something like a 300 square mile range that does not overlap with other males. I also believe, however, most sightings are coyote or lynx. The "Fed Cover-up" has a long history. Farmers in the mid-west, and maybe northeast, believe cougars have been re-intoduced by "The Man" into specific areas to help control deer populations and now refuse to acknowledge that "fact". Who knows.
    Wouldn't have to be "the man". Could be private citizens with their own agenda as I believe that it's still legal in some states to purchase mountain lion cubs. Some writers have theorized about this.

I believe the habitat is suitable in many parts of the NE. There are small populations in Quebec and New Brunswick, so I'm sure that some slip across the border from time to time. Perhaps one of these has wandered far and taken a liking to the Woodstock, Ct. area.......

I still would like to see conclusive evidence, however..... until that time it is fun to talk about them, though

Quote Originally Posted by lattinhill
    Not sure about " whistler ", but I believe " painter " is southern Appalachian mountain slang for panther...

Dave
    Yep, I've heard that too.

http://www.answers.com/topic/painter?cat=technology

In the 40s and 50s, they "doubted" that coyotes were encroaching...

For what it's worth, in the 40s and 50s, officials were quick to deny that coyotes were moving into the Northeast, and claimed that deer-kills and sightings were "packs of wild dogs".

There was a lengthy and fairly thoughtful article in Yankee Magazine (OK, so not the journal of record on biology, but still) a number of years back about the progression from "wild dogs" to the identification of the Eastern Coyote as a distinct subspecies.

I remember distinctly the first time I saw one in very-suburban Hingham, MA about 10 years ago. I was out walking our rescued greyhound when a big, burly, handsome fellow strolled out in front of us about 30 feet away. I commented aloud to Dale the Greyhound that, "if I didn't know better, I would swear that was a coyote..." Dale had no thoughts on the matter, but about a week later, there was an article in the local paper about coyotes on Boston's South Shore. The coyotes became a regular feature in the 'hood, and had become a bit of a problem by last summer, when several neighborhood cats went missing.

I don't have much trouble buying that mountain lions are staging a slow come-back in the reforested lands of New England.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    If you think this is bad, read this!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070719/...rGRrILj43tiBIF

Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

I couldn't find the news story, but not too many years ago a "wild" mountain lion was captured by the Ct. DEP here in eastern Ct
    It really wasn't that tough of a capture
    It seems the beast's leash got tangled in the brush

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by dug
    This seems like an odd statement:

"Wildlife expert Rob Calvert said that he believes a bear might have startled the horse, setting off a chain of events that fatally injured her. Because of his finding, the state will pay for the Smiths' veterinarian bills, which added up to $600".

Exactly why are they paying for this?
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin
    This seems like an odd statement:

"Wildlife expert Rob Calvert said that he believes a bear might have startled the horse, setting off a chain of events that fatally injured her. Because of his finding, the state will pay for the Smiths' veterinarian bills, which added up to $600".

Exactly why are they paying for this?
    No kidding, I'm having a hard time understanding that myself...I wonder if the state requested some sort of autopsy or tests or something and as a result is covering those? I can't think of any logical reason for us to be paying for this...

Eastern Connecticut Avatar:I Like my Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket21
    No kidding, I'm having a hard time understanding that myself...I wonder if the state requested some sort of autopsy or tests or something and as a result is covering those? I can't think of any logical reason for us to be paying for this...
    I don't know about this for sure but I do know that sometimes there are arrangements with cattle and horse owners and the government that if predators kill their livestock they get reimbursed. This is to prevent large scale killing of large predators from the area. This is pretty common out west with cattle, sheep and horse owners and the federal government on federal land from what I have read. These arrangements are mostly done in areas where they have re-introduced predators.

Don't know if it a similar arrangement.

Keith
    Last edited by SAR-EMT40; 08-14-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    "The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information."- Ed Abbey