Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: more New England mountain lion rumors

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Quote Originally Posted by John in NH View Post
    Man provides pictures of what he believes is a mountain lion track on Crawford Ridgepole trail between Morgan and Webster:

http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/h...q/-/index.html
    Great to see that XL glove and the description in the photo. Here's some quick info on Distinguishing Cougar, Coyote and Bobcat Tracks
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Quote Originally Posted by John in NH View Post
    Man provides pictures of what he believes is a mountain lion track on Crawford Ridgepole trail between Morgan and Webster:

http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/h...q/-/index.html
    First it was killer packs of coyotes in the Belknaps and now mountain lions in the Squam region. What's next, gangs of psychotic chipmunks in the Kinsman Range? You and your scare tactics won't keep me out of the Whites.

track looks like a classic bobcat track inside another track.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
    track looks like a classic bobcat track inside another track.
    Agreed, it's too small to be Cougar, which is sort of a frightening thought.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Take a closer look at the image, which I'm republishing here under the assumption it meets the four requirements of the "fair use" copyright exception.

I agree there are several paw prints next to the glove. The uppermost is the right paw of a feline. That uppermost print is at least three inches across and probably closer to four, when compared with the glove. (I just measured a similar glove here at five inches across the knuckles when spread flat as in the picture.) That would be one hefty bobcat that I would not want to meet in the wild …

Note also the print at the bottom right corner of the image. Note the width and length of the toes displayed.

It will be interesting to hear about any follow-up with the photographer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squam-cat-second-print-w-glove-JPG.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	4782
    Last edited by sardog1; 11-12-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    sardog1

The top print does give the impression of a small print in a big hole, until you measure the photo. I put the "small" inside print at 3.75 inches across, plus or minus half an inch.

That's a very good find. If he measured the other sets of tracks, he might be able to show the presence of multiple individuals; and if there were two small sets and one large set, that would be quite interesting indeed.

I'm not familiar enough with those trails to know how much to credit the idea that three sets of tracks since significant snow in "early morning hours" => three individual cats. Could it be one cat making three circles (with the return track past the end of his hike), or three zigzags (where he missed the return tracks due to bare ground or other factors)? Big cats move very fast - cruising speed for a puma is around 10mph. It's not hard to imagine a cat literally running circles around a hiker.

A passing motorist has reported what she thought might be a dead mountain lion in the median of the MassPike near Becket, MA on Sunday. See my earlier post about my son's live sighting a week ago Friday. Maybe it is someone hoaxing my post on the New England ML Sighting forum, but it doesn't seem that way.

A mountain lion sighting was also reported on Saturday in Wayland, MA.

im waiting for a new england mountain lion pic..right after the one of the loch ness monster..hehe
    why are there people like Frank??

that is ABSOLUTELY a picture of a mountain lion in new england. a lot of questions remain though. when this guy had his pet in the back of his pickup truck, did he let it out on purpose or did it escape? where was he bringing it? did he let it loose to cause a sensation?
    why are there people like Frank??

Quote Originally Posted by hikerfast View Post
    that is ABSOLUTELY a picture of a mountain lion in new england. a lot of questions remain though. when this guy had his pet in the back of his pickup truck, did he let it out on purpose or did it escape? where was he bringing it? did he let it loose to cause a sensation?
    That was one well-trained cat. It said goodbye to its family in the Black Hills, hooked up with a guy in a pickup, did its business at various spots in Minnesota and Wisconsin and New York, then it was on to Connecticut where they parted company.

Or not: NY DEC Wildlife Pathology Unit Case Report # 100948
    sardog1

Quote Originally Posted by sardog1 View Post
    That was one well-trained cat. It said goodbye to its family in the Black Hills, hooked up with a guy in a pickup, did its business at various spots in Minnesota and Wisconsin and New York, then it was on to Connecticut where they parted company.

Or not: NY DEC Wildlife Pathology Unit Case Report # 100948
    Great reading,thanks sardog.Those paw prints were huge on that poor cat.The last sentence seems to sum up the state of mountain lions in the northeast,indicating lions would likely be detected if here.
    pic of bobcat track last winter Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7822.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	4787
    Last edited by Red Oak; 11-17-2013 at 06:42 AM.

On a New Boston, NH Facebook page today I saw a photo of a mountain lion that was supposedly in Greenfield, NH, looking into a bus. A comment below stated that some years ago the a few mountain lions were released in NH to help control deer population. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats