more New England mountain lion rumors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TV news indicated one was nailed in Chicago yesterday.

I wouldnt believe it but for the pics...

Forgive me if this has already been posted, my dad just sent it to me today. Seems a western US puma was stalking a cowboy hunter's dogs and rushed in to attack when... the cowboy's mule killed the puma! This is what you call one bad *ss... :D
2862918680084551792S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2506666860084551792S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2137024280084551792S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RE: Mountain lions in the East

The prey IS here, the habitat IS here, but the animals ARE NOT. No doubt as time passes we may see single animals roam through, but so far all "mountain lions" positiviely identified in the Northeast (the majority of sightings are actually bobcats, golden retrievers, and even house cats) have been escaped pets. Mitochondrial DNA analysis from the epithelial cells sloughed off on scat have proven that these have been South American animals --- ie stupid people with inappropriate pets have released them when they got to be too difficult to deal with.

I was speaking to a friend yesterday who had a call from a friend telling about a mountain lion she and her daughter had seen while on a hike to Goodrich Rock in Waterville Valley. Apparently the animal was very interested in them, following them through the woods at a distance. They aborted their plans and returned to their car, wishing I'm sure, that they had brought a camera along.

I was speaking to a friend yesterday who had a call from a friend telling about a mountain lion she and her daughter had seen while on a hike to Goodrich Rock in Waterville Valley.

It would be interesting to know exactly when and where on the trail they spotted the cat whether mtn lion or not. The upper half of the Goodrich Rock Trail is pretty wild and remote feeling, with large glacial erratics, steep hillside and lots of hiding places, even though it is so close to civilization.

A couple of us were up there clipping brush Sunday and saw nary a sign of wildlife except for a single deer track, and some mountain bikers on Greeley Ponds Trail.

I agree, Harry -- would like to know more about the Goodrich Rock "sighting", too. I definitely saw cat-tracks out that way last winter, but 99.2% sure they were the local bobcat and nothing bigger.

When I read eruggles' post yesterday (late as usual), I have to admit to having more-than-typical mixed feelings about the possible resurgence of a species in our midst. I am all about living in harmony with moose, bears, deer, and all the smaller critters -- and there are few things more beautiful than a mountain lion -- but they come with certain risks that other indigenous species don't bring.

I recognize that the risk of being attacked by a mountain lion is infinitely small (certainly less than, say, the risk of being taken out by a crazed Boy George fan after the concert tour was cancelled), but as someone who hikes all the time with small kids, it still gives me the willies. I know there's always a risk you could bump into a mother-and-cub or a rutting moose in the wrong place at the wrong time -- but they typically don't go on the hunt.

Knowing how elusive our cats have been when they wanted to be, no report of mountain lions is a surprise or lacks some credibility to me. My biggest question is where they came from. I suspect many actual sightings may not necessarily be the migration or return of a former indigenous creature ... that is, I suspect they are likely escaped "pets".

I do know a former owner of snow leopards who at one time was the only private individual licensed to keep them in Massachusetts. On a number of occasions he was called by local police in Southeastern Mass. to confer on sightings. Based upon evidence, the tracks especially, including one that that been cast in plaster by the police, and some photos, he was pretty sure they were strong proof that these animals were indeed the the mountain lion or a close relative thereof. But the question remained, where did they come from?