more New England mountain lion rumors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You think that is odd, Maria and I found an Elephant and a Mr Potato Head wind up toy at the cairn on the snowmobile track for Kaaterskill High Peak. Strange days indeed!

:D

Jay

Hey fred, come down this way and we'll go find that Mtn Lion on Long Island..hahaha.. Here kitty kitty kitty..:p

Jay

That's a long way from New England, Funk-master! :D

Yes, but ;)...... were there cougars in Iowa and the midwest 20 years ago? Perhaps this eastward migratory trend might resemble that of the coyote?

"Now, Kanta says, researchers are noticing female pumas beginning to make their own long-distance treks and looking to breed. And this, he says, holds the potential for a far greater impact on states in the central USA from Wisconsin and Iowa in the north to Missouri and Arkansas in the south."

Yes! (Just keep it secret from my wife: "Black bears are OK. Wolves are OK. I don't do mountain lions and brown/grizzly bears.")

So should we be packing Ak-47s for those isolated hikes in Maine??????

Wolves and black bears generally leave humans alone.

Lions stalk humans! :eek:

Black bears in the backcountry are taken semi-seriously in AK, where we used to live. I don't take any special measures in the Northeast except to secure food properly. (I have met only one black bear that I couldn't convince to leave. That was on Vancouver Island, when my wife and I had my GSD and two terriers with us on a fairly remote trail. This particular male bear would not budge from the trail and we skirted him with care.)

There have been a few cases of healthy wolves attacking humans in North America in the last few years, cases that have revised my conduct in their presence. I don't consider wolves a likely threat, but I would now keep a more watchful eye.

Tomcattin' around northwestern Wisconsin

Wis. Wildlife Officials Pursue Mountain Lion
Reporting
Liz Collin SPOONER, Wis. (WCCO) ―

Wisconsin wildlife officials continued Thursday to pursue a mountain lion roaming near Spooner in an effort to fit it with a radio collar.
A group of hunters with hounds contacted the Department of Natural Resources on Tuesday after spotting the latest mountain lion in northwestern Wisconsin, wildlife biologist Ken Jonas said.
There's a pile of pictures in Steve Thompson's truck that proves how close he came.
"He's a nice looking lion, like a 130-pound Tom," Thompson said.

(More at the link. Spooner is about 80-90 miles NE of Mpls. -- St. Paul and a similar distance S of Duluth.) http://wcco.com/pets/mountain.lion.wisconsin.2.951422.html