Mt. Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dottie

Reaction score
My hiking group (AMC chapter in Wash., DC) will be hiking Mt. Isolation near the end of August. My questions are: what's the condition of Jerico Rd.? Is it easy to spot off of Rt. 302?

Next question: how is Rocky Branch Trail to shelter #1? And, does the shelter still exist?

Next day, we'll do Stairs Col Tr., Davis Path, to Isolation summit. We are familar w/ that, so next question is: can we find good camping sites after the summit, or should we continue on to RB shelter #2?

Thanks so very much for any advice.
dottie

I've done that loop a couple of times. I use it as training for our crews going to Philmont.

Jericho Road is signed. So, just look for the sign.

Rocky Branch shelter #1 is still there as far as I know (it was there a year ago and I haven't heard that it's gone).

It's an easy walk from the trailhead to Rocky Branch shelter #1. Probably even easy to do it with headlamps. As I recall, it's mostly old logging road.

There are bootleg camping sites near the old Isolation shelter. In addition, there are designated tent sites along the Rocky Branch trail before you get to Rocky Branch Shelter #2.

Best tent sites at Rocky Branch Shelter #2 are "up hill" from the shelter.

Because the spur up Mt Isolation is officially a bushwhack according to the Wilderness zone map, you can legally camp on the summit which has several flat ledge areas better for popup tent than driving pegs :) No water of course. Bootleg campsites in birches all along Isolation Trail.

Of course being a bushwhack the suggested maximum group size is 4 :)

Ah-em. I, uh, camped on the summit before. Bivvied on the ledges. LNT. AMAZING sunrise.

Last edited: