2 day Kilkenny ridge traverse? 8/18-19/07?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
I am wondering if anyone else is interested in doing a Kilkenny ridge traverse? I have some flexibility on these dates. I could leave a day or two earlier if the weather will be better then. I was planning on starting from South Pond Rd., and ending on Starr King trail in Jefferson, and staying at Willard Notch.

Jason,

Stan, Little Bear, and I just spent the weekend in the Kilkenny. We camped in Willard Notch on Friday night, climbed the 3 Weeks peaks out and back on Saturday, and had an incredible day on Sunday at Unknown Pond, the Horn, and the Bulge. Unknown Pond was deserted except for the bullfrogs, and there are yellow waterlilies blooming.
A tiny bold blackpoll warbler was bathing in a puddle at our feet on the summit rock of the Horn. I hope you get to spend some time in those wonderful places.

Jason, I plan to hike in the Kilkenny the week prior, if you can accelerate your plans by that much? I wanted to do a traverse but a friend has to bail, so I have planned various loops and out and backs instead.

Looking forward to exploring this area!

Doc, your dates would work for me; Jason's don't. I'd like to do a traverse. I don't care much which direction.
-vegematic

audrey said:
Jason,

Stan, Little Bear, and I just spent the weekend in the Kilkenny. We camped in Willard Notch on Friday night, climbed the 3 Weeks peaks out and back on Saturday, and had an incredible day on Sunday at Unknown Pond, the Horn, and the Bulge. Unknown Pond was deserted except for the bullfrogs, and there are yellow waterlilies blooming.
A tiny bold blackpoll warbler was bathing in a puddle at our feet on the summit rock of the Horn. I hope you get to spend some time in those wonderful places.

Thanks, Audrey! Now I have things to visualize as I look forward to this trip! :D

vegematic said:
Doc, your dates would work for me; Jason's don't. I'd like to do a traverse. I don't care much which direction.
-vegematic

vegematic, I'll let you know as the dates get closer. Tentative plans are starting a 7 day trip sometime in the the week of August 6th. My trip will begin depending on the weather, so if you have such flexibility, we should be able to make it work. I would probably want to do a traverse as a 3 day also? I'll pm or email in the next week or so.

Jason Berard said:
I was planning on starting from South Pond Rd., and ending on Starr King trail in Jefferson, and staying at Willard Notch.

I am also planning this traverse for an upcoming day-hike, and was wondering about which direction I should take. The book says 7350' elevation gain from North to South.

Anyone has an opinion about this :confused: