Five 3000 footers NE of Pittsburg NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Saturday was a productive day. We bagged five 3000’ peaks NE of Pittsburg NH.

Mark (mhrsebago) & I started out doing Rump Mtn – 3654’. From the East Inlet Road we where able to drive (but I don't recommend it) all the way up a side road till the height of land at approx 3000'. The bushwhack was easy up to the ridge. Going across to the summit was a bit scrappy in places. We found the summit and it's 3 jars... we added a fourth! On our way back to the car we did some sight seeing and stopped of at the ME/NH state line monument. Rump was ME3k #165/165 for me! Yahoo.

We then meet Jim (Gamehiker) and headed over to do Kent – 3137’. We approached it from the end of a side road just N of the E Inlet Roads height of land. Easy-Breeay open woods & ferns. Less than an hour up and back. Found a large moose antler that I brought home.

Just getting warmed up, we then spotted Mark's car below Salmon – 3390’ and headed over to Boundary Pond to access the border swath. The hike up D'urban – 3010’ was TOUGH. The swath was steep and covered with slash and low growth. No easy footing as it was steep wet & slippery. A hard time was had by all but we reached the summit. Did not find a jar (does anyone recall one there?). The descent back down seemed even more treacherous. Jim had to leave us at this point and headed back to his car.

Mark & I pressed on towards Snag Pond Mtn – 3277’. The conditions on the swath where only slightly better but the woods on the Canadian side where wide open! Where the swath did a big loop around to the east and back we entered the woods to bushwhack for the summit. We not only enjoyed open woods but eventually came upon an ATV trail that led us high up the mountain and back to the swath.

We found the jar on Snag Pond Mtn to be in good shape. The usual cast of suspects had preceded us.

We continued on toward Salmon – 3390’. We came to a STEEP descent into a col and then an even steeper ascent out. We chose to enter the woods again, this time on the American side, and worked our way up and back to the swath where it leveled off a bit. From there we followed ATV tracks along the swath to its highpoint next to Salmon. From the swath over to the summit of Salmon was an easy ‘whack through open woods.

The jar on Salmon is in tough shape. The lid is rusted and does not screw down tight. Even so, the register was dry. We marveled at Tom Sawyer's entry dating back to 1975!! This was by far the oldest 3k entry I've seen.

The descent off the steep E face of Salmon back towards the car was straight forward. We knew we had an easy to find handrail waiting for us at the bottom (an old N – S logging road) so we simply zig & zagged our way downhill, cheating to the NE when possible, seeking out the path of least resistance.

We arrived back at the car around 7:30ish. Tired but satisfied!

Pictures here

Last edited:
Nice hike you animals! Congrats on 165/165 Onestep. Looks like you'll have to come to Vermont sometime.

There was an intact Jar on D'urban last summer, it was actually on the Canadian side for some reason, but clearly visible.

Congrats, Kurt! Keep on truckin! (Or is that Taurus'in?) If you keep up your 5 peaks-per-weekend, not only will you reduce your MDPP, but you'll be done with New England before the first snowfall!

Did you happen to snag Moxie Mountain at any point in your travels? Please let us know when and where your final 3k peak will be. If you don't want a big celebration on the last one, I'd be happy to join you on your 2nd-to-last!

onestep said:
Saturday was a productive day. We bagged five 3000’ peaks NE of Pittsburg NH.

<cut>

The hike up D'urban – 3010’ was TOUGH. The swath was steep and covered with slash and low growth. No easy footing as it was steep wet & slippery. A hard time was had by all but we reached the summit. Did not find a jar (does anyone recall one there?). The descent back down seemed even more treacherous.

<cut>

CONGRATULATION on finishing the 165 Maine 3Ks.

Nice report. I think you missed the worst section of the vista of all, between Trumbull and Salmon just on the Salmon side of the low point where Monument 478 was broken off.

The d'Urban jar was on the Canadian side (a bit unintuitive). Here's Oncoman reaching for it:

IMG_9228.jpg

The rules say you gotta go back (Ask Oncoman about W. Caribou) when you miss the jar. :D

Last edited:
Pig Pen said:
Looks like you'll have to come to Vermont sometime.
Are there 3000-Footers out there? ;)

albee said:
If you keep up your 5 peaks-per-weekend...
Any interest in the Hitchcocks? :D :D

Papa Bear said:
The d'Urban jar was on the Canadian side (a bit unintuitive)...
The rules say you gotta go back ... when you miss the jar.
At last nights 3000 Footer executive committee meeting in Barnjum it was decided that the jar belongs on the Quebec 1000 meter list and therefor no repeat is necessary! :D :D :D :p

Another great day in the mountains!!! Love the Swath!!!

We were surprised at how many people were in this seemingly remote area of northern NH. There must have been one hundred cars on Rt 3 as we drove home... long lines in each lane with the parade led by someone traveling 20 mph, probably hoping to see a moose. Usually, Colebrook is quiet; but it was really hoppin' at 9 PM last saturday!

Thanks for the TR and pictures; the one of Jim and I on Kent is particularly flattering!!

onestep said:
At last nights 3000 Footer executive committee meeting in Barnjum it was decided that the jar belongs on the Quebec 1000 meter list and therefor no repeat is necessary! :D :D :D :p
Nice try Kurt, but d'Urban at 3010' = 987.28m doesn't make the cut for the Quebec 1Kms. Looks like you gotta go back,
:D :D

onestep said:
We marveled at Tom Sawyer's entry dating back to 1975!! This was by far the oldest 3k entry I've seen.
Presumably every completer of the NE3k has signed that register, somebody should photograph all the entries

Any benchmark on Rump?

And PB needs math lesson or new calculator

Kurt, thanks for the trip report, and congradulations on completing the Maine 3k's. May the 3k's you have left in New England prove to be as easy as you think they will be.

Plus, now that you have all the Maine 3k's under your belt, what would you say are the top five most difficult bushwhacks in any conditions? Also, at this point, how many New Hampshre 3k's do you have left?

Finally, while you were walking the swath this past weekend, did you visit the Crown Monument? Additionally, considering all the slash you encountered, could you guess in how many years it will take before the swath will become comfortably walkable again?

Last edited:
Nate said:
Kurt,
Also, while you were walking the swath, did you visit the Crown Monument?
The Crown Monument (at monument 475, the NH-ME line) would have been about 2.5 miles round trip on the swath from d'Urban. With the swath the way it is, that would have made it a tough day.

Quite an accomplishment, Kurt! And you've been whackin' for what, three years now??!
I'm wondering what you do in your spare time....