Hiker Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil said:
The stick pulled out as you lifted yourself off of it.

Something very similar happened to my dad when he was out XC skiing about a mile from home. Fell sideways onto a sharp stick (caused by trail clearing work) which missed both of his carotid arteries by about 1/16th inch (according to the surgeon). Pulled himself off it and found he was breathing through something other than his nose or mouth. :eek:

Oh, he came out of it fine--after being on the OR table for 2 1/2 hours.

Things happen, for some of which we can prepare and for some of which we can't. I like to prepare. Then if one of those "can't prepare for it" things happens to me, well, so it goes.

Last edited:
Mad Townie said:
Something very similar happened to my dad when he was out XC skiing about a mile from home. Fell sideways onto a sharp stick (caused by trail clearing work) which missed both of his carotid arteries by about 1/16th inch (according to the surgeon). Pulled himself off it and found he was breathing through something other than his nose or mouth. :eek:

Oh, he came out of it fine--after being on the OR table for 2 1/2 hours.

Things happen, for some of which we can prepare and for some of which we can't. I like to prepare. Then if one of those "can't prepare for it" things happens to me, well, so it goes.

Wow! That really stinks.

The ability to improvise a flutter valve for a sucking chest wound is something that everyone should be able to do. It is easy to make with available items in most first aid kits and can save someone from developing a pneumothorax which is a serious life threat. Bicyclists especially can suffer from this type of injury.

Keith

Neil's scenario sounds like one a particularly mean and nasty WFR instructor might pose on an end of course exam.

Neil!!

I've GOT to hike with you sometime!! What a wicked imagination and sense of humor!!!! LOVE your posts!

SAR-EMT40 said:
Wow! That really stinks.

Actually it could have but didn't. That was about 18 years ago, and he's 84 now. He went back to the spot after snow melt that spring and cut the stick off at ground level. Still has it. Must be where I get my sense of humor. :D

Bottom line is it still pays to be prepared. He used a mitten to cover the hole until he got back to the house.

Even for us non-SAR types, there may come a time when what we have in our packs can make the difference for someone else, not just for ourselves. The most important gear is still between the ears.

MT
Your dad should have been wearing a kevlar neck sheath, or better yet a kevlar suit.

Mad Townie said:
Actually it could have but didn't. That was about 18 years ago, and he's 84 now. He went back to the spot after snow melt that spring and cut the stick off at ground level. Still has it. Must be where I get my sense of humor. :D

He should have had it mounted and put on the wall. :D

Mad Townie said:
The most important gear is still between the ears.

Absolutely.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
The ability to improvise a flutter valve for a sucking chest wound is something that everyone should be able to do. It is easy to make with available items in most first aid kits and can save someone from developing a pneumothorax which is a serious life threat. Bicyclists especially can suffer from this type of injury.
I'd hazard a guess that off-trail skiers and skiers who miss a turn and go off into the woods are also at risk of this kind of injury.

Doug

Mad Townie said:
Ouch!

I helped a friend who essentially sat on a stick while XC skiing on a groomed trail. The stick penetrated his clothing and went a short distance up his anus. Fortunately only a scratched cheek and anus, but had the aim been slightly different or had the stick penetrated farther, it could have been serious.

Doug

Crazy stories! But like a train wreck....I just can't look away.

I recently took a WFR course and I'd highly recommend this to anyone who finds rescue and wilderness accidents intriguing. My first aid kit has nearly doubled in size, I actually know how to use it all now, and I can improvise quite a bit from what is available in the environment. I now also have a great deal of confidence in dealing with Neil's scenarios because I was able to participate in so many mock rescues during the class. Now I've submitted my application to join Portland Mountain Rescue, keeping my fingers crossed that they'll take me.

WFR is a time comittment though...there are WFA and other, shorter classes that would suit the needs of most outdoorspeople. I've taken the regular, red cross first aid class and found that to be completely useless. Spend the extra time and bucks on a decent class.

pilgrim said:
Today's Conway Daily Sun reports that on July 19, a 63 year old Maine woman took the wrong turn descending the Jewell Trail and got lost.
My first thought on reading that was "gee, 63 is pretty old".

My second thought was "wait a minute. I'm 63!

My worst case scenario is that Mohamed writes me up in the Accidents section of Appalachia for doing something really stupid, and I die of chagrin.

jessbee said:
I recently took a WFR course and I'd highly recommend this to anyone who finds rescue and wilderness accidents intriguing.

This is on my list for next summer. I would have taken it this summer, but I didn't have enough vacation days. Luckly for me Plymouth State University offers the course and since I'm an employee, I can take it for no cost.