Crane

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic108

Reaction score
Looking at taking a shot at Crane this Saturday weather permitting. Have not noted any recent trip reports since peakbagger back in december. Anyone have any idea what condition the trails would be currently ?

Much appreciated.

Havn't heard of any reports recently, but I see Crane everyday, and climbed it "a lot"....(it's my favorite southern hill)...take a look at my avatar!!

With the rains in the next few days it's most likely going to be a mess....the southwest face is pretty steep in spots, with any ice still there and runoff and encountered, you may have quite a trip. You might consider an approach from the saddle between Huckleberry and Crane, if you want more specific directions drop me an email.... :)

Don't forget the road!!

The stretch of road that intersects the beaver pond might be tricky, I've never been on it in early spring conditions.

You might be best advised to take the direct summit route and avoid the pond outlet which could be a wet/icy mess. I climbed it once in early December and it was verglass.

Options

Perhaps there is a better conquest in the North Creek vicinity. I was hoping for something I could do round trip in about 5 hours. Maybe Crane isnt the best option.

Admittedly, I have hiked a few ADK peaks although I have spent lots of time canoeing, fishing, and camping up there. I have spent most of my time hiking the catskills.

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

You should have no trouble at all. This is a heavily climbed peak. I have climbed it twice and both times in the winter. The only tricky part is the last section of road before the parking area. It should be well packed out, but with this rain it maybe a little slushy. Have fun, and no worries. Round trip up and down to the pond and out that route should take no longer than five hours at a very moderate pace.

Go For it..

I did this hike in late January. Its a great hike. The last section of Rd is closed so the actual trailhead is .4 miles from where you can park. Crampons are a must for the ascent. snowshoes might be helpful for the trip to the pond. Crampons needed for the descent from the pond. I would recommend descending from the pod as aopposed to crossing over to the main trail from the pond.

Mike

crampons

OK so crampons for the ascent, but snowshoes for the pond. Are there signs from the park to the trail head ?

I was hoping to take my 13 year old along for the hike, but I dont have a set of crampons for him. Is it doable without them, or should I consider another hike, or will all assents up there require them with current conditions.

Sorry for the continued inquiry - I like to plan for everything possible !

Thanks alot, this forum is so valuable.

Crampons for the ascent, Definitely. We did not use snowshoes for the trip, and we should have. Crampons were used but optional for the trip down from the pond.

To be sure, people with snowshoes were skirting the ice slopes goin up Crane, but I would not have wanted to do that. A thirteen year old could safely get around all that stuff and stay way ahead of you.

I'll suggest doing Hadley if there are two of you, and you do not both have crampons.

Mike

Last edited:
Crampons etc

OK thanks - good advice. Kids are resilient.

Maybe Hadley is a better option - although since I am staying with friends in North Creek it would be nice to hit something a little closer.

Last edited:
The Blue Ledges are an amazing hike, I did that back about 15 years ago; I'm sure they haven't changed. Thanks Leaddog for reminding me, I got to go in there again soon.

Blue Ledges

Thanks much everyone. I will make a final decision once I get up there and will report back to this post, and the general report on either Sunday night or Monday.

Ledges

ADKLEADDOG:

Any thoughts regarding the melt and run off and the blue ledges ? I hiked through there several years ago, and seem to recall a couple stream crossings. I am wondering now if it would be too dangerous with the current weather ???

There are a myriad of trail offerings at thirteenth lake - balm of gilead and a few others....options !

I was out both Wednesday and Thursday doing snow surveys...if theres not a packed trail it's going to a tough hike, I had my "planks" on and I sunk in quite a bit at all my stations, with the exception of one near Honnedaga Lake. I'm sure that's changed already. It's only going to get worse with the rain in the next few days, BUT if we get freezing temps and the crusts come, it'll be great walking.

I'd be wary of any large crossings now, most tribs that I saw were open and running pretty well. But again with freezing temps, it might be somewhat managable. Just use caution....

Peak_bgr:

Yes, it is a pretty cool place, any time of the year !! :D

Hike

OK thanks again for the info. Just like the list says - thank God for GOrtex !

Crane - resolution

Decided to snow shoe Sawyer although we bare booted it down. Then snow shoed around garnet hill and 13th lake. On Sunday I took my two boys up to hike in to Rock Lake.

Initial plan was to do Peaked but it would have proved to be too much for my one son.

Lots of melt and river activity.

Thanks again.