perkins notch shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone know the status of perkins notch shelter. Is it still there?

Yes,
It is still there. I was passing through there 2 weeks ago. It is very much intact. It is a little different then the lean-to's I am used to.
It has a gap between the entrance and the sleeping area, and the gap is chicken wired . I guess to keep porcupines out.
The lean to is in good condtion, and it's outhouse was very usable.
WSC

For a 1957 structure, the Perkins Notch shelter is only relatively dilapidated; the back foundation log is rotting and the corrugated tin roof is in rough shape. There's an unusual amount of graffiti on the back wall. It sits in a low spot right on the trail that muddies up easily and looks out on a boggy area; the fire ring was choked with charcoal embers, and there was a lot of broken glass (beer bottles) under the shelter. Despite its distance from the road--4.2 miles on the Bog Brook route--it looks like an overused and vandalized roadside shelter. It may get more winter snowmobile traffic than summer hiker use. There's a large area of compacted earth that serves as tent pads right next to it. In all, far from the most appealing shelter in the Whites, and it's pretty miserable there in wet weather. USFS seems to be wavering on the earlier threat to remove it along with the other two Wild River shelters. The matter is back up for decision soon, I believe. The last time I stayed there (Sept. '06), I heard the eerie howling of a pack of coyotes bouncing off Carter Dome. It sounded like wolves.

Last edited:
when i was last there in 05 it didn't strike me as a place i would like to spend the night. very wet which i can only imagine leads to bugs. i did see the largest garter snake of my life in front of the shelter sunning, no doubt due to rodents drawn to the area. they must have worked on the privy as well since then. it was "full" to say the least. spruce brook shelter was really nice though. sad if they have to go for wilderness regulations. hopefully they will at least utilize the hardened areas for designated sites.

bryan