Rock on blueberry?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I did blueberry mountain and got to where I thought was the summit. I was told there was a large rock there. the only rock I saw was a rock about 3 feet round. I went farther up the trail and started going downhill so I figured I was on my way to porter. So I went back to the other rock and had lunch. When I got home I was curious so I did a search on the web and saw a large rock with a woman standing next to it. It was twice as tall as her. Is this rock on the way to porter, or did I just stop a little short? Great climb with a great view anyways.

Last edited:
I did this several years ago as an end-end hike from Cascade - Porter - Blueberry and definitely remember the huge rock at an open area on the ridge. Don't know if that's the actual summit or not though. Nice hike with excellent views.

Huge rock - probably the one you saw online. There's a fairly open summit crown with other smaller bolders around.

There's a picture somewhere (Little Bear??) of me standing atop of it. It was a bit tough to get onto... but my height with the help of a smaller bolder got my up. The rock is a good 10-12 feet high and at least as wide.

The Blueberry Porter trail makes a significant climb up from Marcy Airfield to a first, well defined summit. The trail proceeds from there along a ridge, over a series of bumps, and then begins climbing toward Porter. A short ways after the start of the "climbing toward Porter" section, there is an unusual large flat rock shelf on the W side of the ridge, littered with glacial erratics, one of which is particularly large. This is the spot that is being discussed. It's a little reminiscent of the western summit of Pitchoff, and somewhat eerie, when compared with the surrounding "normal" forest. If you've been there, you'll remember it.

As I have always understood it, the first well defined summit, which directly overlooks Keene Valley, is considered the summit of Blueberry. But it's worth walking on to reach the flat area, because it's weird and cool.

TCD

Rock on Blueberry

Check out the pick on my site, the rock is huge, I'm surprised you missed it. I did Porter and Blueberry as a through hike and came upon the rock on the way over blueberry and back down to Marcy Field.

www.nyoutdoors.net/adk/porter.htm

Yes, that's the spot I was describing. Nice picture! You can also see some of the smaller glacial erratic rocks in the background.

She is a lovely boulder

BoulderOnBlueberryMountain.jpg

Adk_dib said:
When I got home I was curious so I did a search on the web and saw a large rock with a woman standing next to it. It was twice as tall as her. Is this rock on the way to porter, or did I just stop a little short? Great climb with a great view anyways.

This picture, with Annie beside thew rock? (my picture)

BPC2447.jpg