What electronics don't belong in Wilderness areas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What electronic items shouldn't be allowed in the Wilderness?

• This is a silly question!

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Battery-powered toys (portable DVDs or Gameboy/PSP/Wii, etc...)

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Music players (AM/FM radios, iPods, etc...)

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • Cell Phones

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • GPS

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Beer

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • There should not be regulations on what we bring into the Wilderness

Votes: 44 47.8%

• Total voters

albee

Reaction score
If a Wilderness area is supposed to provide "opportunities for a more primitive experience", would it make sense to limit the amount of modern technology that hikers bring with them?

What item or items do you feel should not be allowed to comply with the spirit of "primitive recreation"?

albee said:
If a Wilderness area is supposed to provide "opportunities for a more primitive experience", would it make sense to limit the amount of modern technology that hikers bring with them?

None. The KEY WORD is "opportunities", aka "choice".

Tim

I would submit that electronics is too narrow a focus. A more appropriate focus would be devices and activitites.

And I would also submit that the following criteria are appropriate for the limiting of the use of said devices and activities:
1. Damage to the wilderness (animals, plants, terrain, etc). This might be used to limit motorized vehicles and tools, wheels, group sizes, camping locations, fires, total numbers of people, littering, etc.
2. Damage to other person's wilderness experience. This might be used to limit noise, blazes, total numbers of people, alcohol, etc. (A lot of this would be covered by simple consideration of others.)

I'm not suggesting that this is the only way of looking at the issue, just one appropriate way.

Doug

What ?! With already 10 results, no anti-GPS yet ? I must be dreaming :D

Motabobo said:
What ?! With already 10 results, no anti-GPS yet ? I must be dreaming
Baxter State Park now bans "audio devices" including cell phones (see #25)
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/allrules.html

Am I correct that this used to read "electronic devices" and hence they implicitly allow GPS?

Another question might be whether you could possess such an object as long as you didn't use it within Wilderness, for instance you didn't want to leave your iPod in the car for vandals or wanted to play music at your campsite after you left Wilderness.

Last edited:
RoySwkr said:
Baxter State Park now bans "audio devices" including cell phones (see #25)
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/allrules.html
The exact wording is:
allrules.html said:
25. AUDIO DEVICES: Audio devices such as radios, televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated within the Park.

Am I correct that this used to read "electronic devices" and hence they implicitly allow GPS?
I have no idea what it used to say, but clearly this document does not currently prohibit their use. The file date is Feb 23, 2007 so it has been in effect for quite a while. You might be able to find older copies at the internet archive http://www.archive.org.

Another question might be whether you could possess such an object as long as you didn't use it within Wilderness, for instance you didn't want to leave your iPod in the car for vandals or wanted to play music at your campsite after you left Wilderness.
The above wording only prohibits use.

I wonder what they would do if you called in an accident on your cell phone...

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
I wonder what they would do if you called in an accident on your cell phone...

Doug

When were in BSP we got friendly with a Ranger there who made it clear that the Rangers are very happy when somebody calls in an accident with a cell phone. It allows them to be better prepared for what type of rescue they may face and in some cases allowed them to talk the caller through first aid or best steps on how to proceed.

bobandgeri said:
When were in BSP we got friendly with a Ranger there who made it clear that the Rangers are very happy when somebody calls in an accident with a cell phone. It allows them to be better prepared for what type of rescue they may face and in some cases allowed them to talk the caller through first aid or best steps on how to proceed.

Glad to hear that common sense has not gone by the wayside.

Like many others, I keep my cell phone in my pack, and it's off, mainly because I don't like to leave it in the car, and knowing full well that if I become injured, it is unlikely to have a signal anyway.

Back to the thread, the only electronic device I take on a hike is a GPS, but could live without it if mandated. I personally go into the woods to get away from ipods, cell phones, email, etc, but it doesn't bother me or ruin my experience if others do. To each their own.

That said, I voted for no regulations as I don't feel that there are any problems with the wilderness as it is. Remove the blazes or leave them, whatever ..... but I don't think we need more regs. Live free or die, ..... hike free too ..... and hike your own hike.

Last edited:
kmorgan said:
I personally don't like any distractions while hiking/visiting the wilderness. But to each his own as long as they don't make a nuisance of themselves and ruin my experience.

Kevin

agreed. I personally carry a cellphone, and have hiked with people carrying a GPS before. Music devices are fine IF one uses headphones. I have actually used music devices at night in camp.

I have actually been thinking more about oneday being self-employed, in part to be outdoors more. If carrying a cell phone (or even blackberry) on the trail means I can hike on a traditional "work day" without losing a client - I just may have to do it!

Keep in mind, if my work was busy enough that I expect ringing off the hook - then I would probably not hike that day. I don't know, this is something I have planned for years from now, maybe its better in theory...

bobandgeri said:
It might be nice if they wrote the regs in a way that recognized this. I can see someone not calling something in because they are afraid of the punishment that might follow. A bit like charging for rescues.

Doug

maybe its just me, but wouldn't any reasonable human being realize the baxter reg means no needless chit chat on the phone??? - basicially carry it but keep it off unless needed. I highly doubt they mean leave it in the car - its a useful tool to have for an emergency. Anyone with some common sesne knows this.

How does an Ipod ruin someones experience?

its all about what makes your day fun. I am not here to any please nature boy/girl purists.

giggy said:
It does seem strange to ban cell phones and I-pods. Maybe they want you focused on the hike, not your g/f or the latest rap from DJ-Disaster or whatever! :eek: :D

I can see it now, some guy is hiking and listening to tunes, and another person passes him and says "There's a bear around the corner!". Not hearing the warning, he proceeds, and ... ??

giggy said:
maybe its just me, but wouldn't any reasonable human being realize the baxter reg means no needless chit chat on the phone??? - basicially carry it but keep it off unless needed. I highly doubt they mean leave it in the car - its a useful tool to have for an emergency. Anyone with some common sesne knows this.

its all about what makes your day fun. I am not here to any please nature boy/girl purists.

they may want to avoid the (to some people) obligatory "hey we're on the summit" calls, I doubt anyone would seriously not want someone to use one for an emergency. I-pods with headphones, how is that a problem?

I love Baxter State Park just the way it is. I don't love it DESPITE the strict rules, I love it precisely BECAUSE OF the strict rules. Cell phones and all...

I always bring my cell phone(turn off) and camera on my hikes, sometimes my iPod and Palm just because I don't want to leave them in the car. I don't listen to music when I hike, and it doesn't bother me if other people do. I brought my iShuffle backpacking in ADK and up Rainier, Caetano Veloso has helped me slept through many long cold nights. I have used my cell phone at least once on a summit to check on my buddy who didn't show up for the hike, I walked away from the crowd talked softly and briefly into it. I'll bring electronic beers if I know where to buy them.

What is primitive recreation and purist anyway?? Will a purist uses headlamp or fire torch that they made out of branches at night? Will a purist uses compass to navigate or looks up the stars or sun or birds or whatever? Will a purist possibly consider a piece of land that is only miles away from highway and shopping malls to be a wilderness area?

Should people allow to wear perfume or scented anti-perspirant in the wilderness? Can people talk in the wilderness. Loud conversation may ruin someone else wilderness experience too. Should the volume of our conversation be regulated?

I think people need to be more tolerant.