Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the site died...

Why the site died...

I'll try to keep this short...since a lot of site readers seem to not have virus protection on their computers (I wont name names...), when the blaster worm hit last week, my inbox got flooded with virus emails. I was getting over 500 a day. The influx of email slowed down the server.

Since the server slowed down, the forums slowed down and when people tried to post or read threads, the server would be too slow and the connection to teh database would timeout. The timeout would cause the forum software to auto-send an email to me letting me know of the forum error. The forum error emails slowed the server down even more and the downward death spiral began. The forums must be pretty popular, because I got over 25,000 forum error emails in 1 day.

All those emails filled the server's hard drive and once it was out of space it appears that the forum software could not save the open database files and they got corrupted.

I thought my service provider backed up the mysql database files, but it turns out that I was supposed to do it. I have backups of all my static html files, but I lost all the old posts and user data for the forums. So, I had to restart everything. Everyone has to re-register to post and all post counts are set to zero.

All this happened while I was in the middle of selling my house, buying a new one, and moving. Stress levels are a little high around here...

Sorry for all the problems. Hope I didn't loose too many readers while the site was down. Email me if you have any problems.

- darren

Good job though Darren considering all that's been going on in your life. Lemme know if you're interested in those automated backup scripts I was telling you about. You still need to download the backups periodically, but they make it easier. I'm sure vBulletin has a backup feature too, but if you use MySQL for other things, these scripts work well!

Thumbs up Thanks!

I was really jonesing without this site. I went to the AMC forums- too much flaming and too many political statements....
    GREAT JOB DARREN

In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
    On the "Day of the Worm", I received a half dozen or more of those infected e-mails with similar title lines. I knew enough not to open them. Perhaps they may have come to me via VFTT by sending out to all the e-mail addresses you have on file (??).
    "Leave No Stragglers"

Dennis,

You didn't get any virus emails from VFTT - none were sent out from here and I didn't open any. the problem was with people who did get the virus. They sent out emails to every email address in thier address book and also to any email addresses listed in html pages that are in their local web browser's cache. My email address is all over this website, so it's all over the html pages in their cache. That's why I get hit with all the emails. No on e has access to any of the email addresses used when people register here. They are stored in a mysql database and are fairly "safe" from virus access.

- darren

mysql admin

I am a mysql admin....kinda part time.. but full time unix admin....
    let me just say, a cronjob of mysqldump is your friend :P

-Let me know if you ever need help.. I am willing

-iceclimber (chris)

In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
    Lessons were learned for sure by the onslaught of all these infected e-mails. There must be some way to block these out so this won't be happening again to the VFTT site.
    "Leave No Stragglers"

great work

Thanks much to Darren. We appreciate your sacrifices to keep this vibrant community humming! It can't be said enough!

To whom else do we owe our thanks for the resurrection of this phoenix? Was anyone able to pitch in?

Re: great work

Originally posted by el-bagr

To whom else do we owe our thanks for the resurrection of this phoenix? Was anyone able to pitch in?
    The trail condition posts were resurrected by Dave Kennedy and Tim Scott. The forums were resurrected
    (although I should say reinstalled because all data was lost) by myself.

- darren

Re: mysql admin

Originally posted by iceclimber
    let me just say, a cronjob of mysqldump is your friend :P
    Agreed. Save this as a Perl file (*.pl):
    Code:
    mysqldump -u username -ppassword --opt database_name > /home/user/pathtobackup/database_name.sql
    Then set up a CRON to run this Perl script on a schedule of your choosing, e.g. nightly. You can also add lines for every database you have if you use more than one. Then download in the AM via FTP. You may even be able to set the Perl script to Email it, but I'm sure your database is pretty big...

Hope this helps!

Can't keep a good man down

Dear Great and Powerful One: THANK YOU!!! My life is now back to normal. I was actually starting to talk to my wife at night instead of reading and posting on the wonderful VFTT. All is now well. While we'll miss the great discussions that were lost in the archives, we can start fresh - sort of like a mountain Adam and Eve. A collective "welcome back" to you and Views From the Top.

Re: Re: mysql admin

Originally posted by AlpineZone

Agreed. Save this as a Perl file (*.pl):
    Code:
    mysqldump -u username -ppassword --opt database_name > /home/user/pathtobackup/database_name.sql
    Then set up a CRON to run this Perl script on a schedule of your choosing, e.g. nightly. You can also add lines for every database you have if you use more than one. Then download in the AM via FTP. You may even be able to set the Perl script to Email it, but I'm sure your database is pretty big...

Hope this helps!
    Woah, thre is no need for this to be in a perl script. mysqldump is a binary so why not jsut throw it in a bash script?
    And yeah, if you want it to ftp the dump, use the Net::FTP module, or one of the many NET:: modules out there. Darren, if you are reading this and want something scripted, let me know.

Urggggh! I feel like a member of one of the "lost" tribes in the Amazon "discovered" by anthropologists. I know you guys are human, and I think you are speaking some sort of human language, but not quite sure. If you take my picture or play a radio near me, I'll probably smile.

All kidding aside, great job by Darren and thanks to all who helped him get the site back up. I thought I has a teensie-bit of computer savvy until reading the previous exchanges, time to go back to school.

Peakbagr

Don't worry, it's just computer geek talk..nothing more nothing less.... I really wish I did pick another major in college...computers just arent as fun as they used to be. O well...

Well, some of us hike, some run computers, and some do both