Big Jay (VT) cut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cut is actually about 20' wide in most places, but it's still an abomination. The worst part is that it was completely unnecessary. That area is home to some of the best, tight tree skiing in the east, and this cut actually made it worse rather then better for skiing. It also may cause avalanche danger where there was little before.

Access to this area was greatly increased by an illegal trail cut from the top of the tram to the top of the main slope about 7 years ago by some folks from the Jay ski area. This is the second major illegal cutting operation in a short amount of time.

On Telemark Tips a group has contacted the state and we've volunteered our efforts for a revegatation worktrip this fall to help re-establish some growth and to possible mark the area as off limits.

More pictures: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/legacy/slideshows/081007jay/index.html

There's a long history of "trimming" backcountry runs in NH and VT, but it's restricted to brush and branches. This is a whole order of magnitude different and it may cause some repercussions on backcountry trimming and other subtle activities.

-dave-

There's been a lot of talk about this in New England ski forums and it's good to see that the consensus is that this was wrong. Hopefully this will serve as an example to stop or reduce future illegal cuts for skiing.

Huge kudos to Vermont F&G for catching the perps. Now we can only hope for a non-squishy judge. It is amazing how 46 and 47 year old citizens could be so disrespectful. :mad:

David Metsky said:
On Telemark Tips a group has contacted the state and we've volunteered our efforts for a revegatation worktrip this fall to help re-establish some growth and to possible mark the area as off limits.

-dave-

Let us know Dave if and when this will be happening; I would be interested in helping out if my schedule permits it.
Don't really know what to say about this incident other than being totally disgusted and wondering what drives people to do things like this. It is certainly beyond the level of ignorance! :mad:

Oh yeah, and also huge kudos to Dave and anyone else who helps to fix that mess. The mountain will remember you. :) :) :)

Where is this illegal cut in relation to the herd path out to Big Jay? When I was out there in late June I had no idea this was there.

That's no herd path, it's also an illegally cut trail. It used to be a herd path, but several years back some people from the Jay Peak ski area cut that trail and got in trouble for it. As far as I know, no charges were filed.

The new illegal trail drops down from the ridge just before you reach Big Jay. If you were out there when it was cut, you couldn't miss it.

I don't know what happened with the cutters, but I was surprised this year to see how much it had grown in.