Has anybody been to the Wild Center?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
Each time we go to the ADKs I see ads for this new center. I thought it looked like a neat place to visit, but just saw it's $14 per person. :eek: Has anybody been? Is it worth it?

TeeJay has, you might want to email him, I could relay the info he told me but I think I'd get it wrong. :)

Jay

pudgy_groundhog said:
Each time we go to the ADKs I see ads for this new center. I thought it looked like a neat place to visit, but just saw it's $14 per person. :eek: Has anybody been? Is it worth it?
It's a nice place, but $14 is steep for what you get. It's better geared for smaller kids with it's nature and "touchme" focus than is the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mtn Lake. But in my opinion the Adirondack Museum is a much better and satisfying value that will really get you interested in the extensive history of the region. You can spend a whole day at the AM. The WC takes much less time to breeze through. Each is a completely different experience, not meant to compete with one another.

Thanks Nessmuk! I haven't been to the other museum either. Sounds like the Wild Center would be a good place to visit when we have our kid. It looks like the Wild Center has otters? That should be worth at least a few bucks of the admission price, right? :p

I was there when we couldn't hike on a rainy day last year with my then 13 year old son. We saw the whole place in about 2 1/2 hours. It was a nice overview of the nature aspect of the Adirondacks. The highlight for us was the old folks we had met there who couldn't believe that my 13 yo had just completed the 46. :) Regarding the cost, consider it a give-back to the mountains through education of the public.

Oh yeah, I believe the Carl Heilman slideshow was one thing that teejay beamed about, he says it IS very good...

BTW, I also talked to AJTIV who said Carl Heilman himself was in a Lake Placid bookstore this past weekend signing posters of some of his ADK shots...

Jay

We went to the Wild Center last year in late August. The slide show/music was as good as the other posts have mentioned. It took us about 3 and a half hours to see the place including the walk down to the river. Certainly you can spend a lot more time at the Adirondack Museum. Our only complaints about the place was the lunch room. Food was good but it took forever to order and get it. Maybe they have gotten their act together by now.

Yes, I did go there a few weeks back. The Carl Heilman slideshow and accompanying music was absolutely spectacular. It alone was worth the price of admission. I could have spent a lot more time there but the people I was with were expecting more. It is not the Adirondack Museum, by any means, nor is it meant to be. The AM is much larger, more mature, and showcases a completely different aspect of the Adirondacks. The WC could be considered a "work in progress" and I think and hope it will develop in time.

EDIT: I can justify the rather steep admission as an investment in the future, and will return to check on how well it's paid off at some time.

teejay

Last edited:
Thread resurrection, but we just went here recently, with Laurie's son and grand-kids. Even in Winter, the place is great! Outside, they had some amazing ice sculptures outside, exquisitely carved.

wc1.jpg

Inside there are numerous exhibits, including live animals, some of which are brought out for display while a naturalist talks about them.

427713_3393882976181_1542878017_2883374_391306129_n.jpg

The hikers, children, and grand-kids all loved every minute of it. It's up to $15.00 now, but you can stay all day if you like. They also have self guided nature trails in the summer (maybe all year long, but we weren't dressed for that). It's definitely worth a visit if you're up there, or at the very least, a way to spend some time on a rainy day. The otters were a BIG hit with the kids, and adults! :)

As I mentioned in another thread, they have a lot of videos, including one from a 46R, and several from Dr. Mike Kudish.

And don't forget to show off your huge rack! :eek:

wc2.jpg

And oh yeah, you can see the Seward's from the parking lot! :D

Last edited:
Wild Center was a rest stop on our Adirondack Bike Adventure tour a couple of years ago. We enjoyed our time there.

This year we gave our daughter a family membership to Wild Center. They live in Canton.

Ditto....great place!!! Our kids loved it, like mentioned otters are a huge hit. It's a really nice place and worth the visit!

I think the place is excelent and in the baby stages. Give it time to grow and expand then you will see sopmething real special.

The fee isn't a big deal, (I support lots of things that are good but expensive, eat local...) I can spend more on food and beer when I'm in the Dacks for weekend.