The world according to the ADK46rs...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away....

Well, I'll stop there before Spielberg tries to sue me...

I guess one would say my ADK adventure was interrupted by a few other things... namely other peaks and some other silly mtns called the Catskills. Now all mountains to me are silly, some more silly than others and the silliest thing of all...... The silly hikers who think that he or she should hike them, to drive gazillion miles, to buy a twin size airmattress because it fits the back of one's Subaru to sleep in comfort in rest areas, to wake up at 1am in the middle of January to drive up to the Boquet river to snowshoe the 5 Dixes.... You get my point, you are all slaves to the mountains.

My first love after college was cross country MTB... then I would ride around the quarry behind Syracuse U, my alma mater and also ride to classes all through the summer. I remember my $400 Diamond Back Sorrento Sport, which when I graduated, I sold to a friend of mine there only to hear it was stolen 2 months later. I've since graduated a long time ago and graduated to bigger and better bikes. I guess it could of been said with the Adirondacks. I never once went there when in Syracuse... The lack of a car was one thing, but somehow I did a couple of the usual peaks back in the mid 90s.. namely Algonquin and Marcy. Not as a peakbagger, just as an adventurous poor college graduate. Spent much of the late 90s MTBing the woods of NJ and NY, bought a rigid Marin team for $1000 as my college gift to myself, eventually putting a suspension fork on it and riding it.... at least 25,000miles later, I still have it, it is now my commuter and touring bike. I rode the thing to New Brunswick, CA before, around Lake Champlain, up towards the Berkshires... It got me to and from work today...

Sometime around 2001, I think I hit the hiking bug, exploration in the woods near me hit a wall as my MTB couldn't go everywhere due to rules and regulations, so I started hiking. As the North Face says, "Never stop exploring". so I didn't, I bought some hiking shoes (some Vasque midlevel hikers) from Campmor, joined the NYNJTC and hit the trails... Somehow, I discovered Harriman, the Catskills, other silly peaks and other silly hikers. (is there a support group? :) )

Well, between my first ADK peaks, I've managed to

1)start and finish my regular and winter CAT3500
2)start and finish the CAT100
3)climb bigger and sillier peaks out west
4)hike other places in VT, MA, CT, NH, and ME.

I guess it was just about time to finish the 46rs so sometime I think 2 years ago, I started to figure out how to best go about it, especially the winter ones. I remember my first winter ADK gathering at the Ark and getting to use my compass for Tabletop, never been there... I remember being on Nancy's winter46r finish on Marcy where Guinness and I huddled behind a rock for 30 minutes waiting for Nancy to arrive... The Dix range hike which I woke up at 1am, met the folks at 5:30 and did a 17 mile snowshoe over 12 hours.... A backpack over the great range (yes, my friend and I huffed big packs over the Wolfjaws to Saddleback....we stayed at Slant Rock and smartly slackpacked Marcy, Skylight, Haystack).

Well, I had 5 peaks left at Jan,2007.. With numerous plans to get Gray this winter or the Sewards.... Lets see..

Feb 14th weekend.... Valentines Day... snow storm, not driving through it...
Mar 17th St Patrick's Day weekend... another snow storm, not driving all the way to the ADKs on friday to do Allen with TFR... Instead I do Irish Mtn on the CAT100 with Mudhook on saturday for a fitting St Patrick's Day hike.

Another trip where AJTIV and I did Algonquin/Wright for winter (turned back on Iriquois) was when we were supposed to do Gray and Skylight but Guinness had snowshoe problems and Daxs and I ran into Guinness and Tmax coming out of Upper Works...

Anyway, after the winter was over, I made plans to start to try to finish this year, when Spencer announced plans for BBQ#5 so sounded fun... Lets see if it happens.

Well, Got the 3 sewards that I needed when my friend Jim at work got a weekend off from the slave driv.. I mean wife and we met Tmax, Guinness, her friend Janet a few weeks ago and we hiked Sewards/Donaldson/Emmons (I have done Seymour previously). Now that I was down to 2, gray and RPR. Figure, Spencer's BBQ is as best time as any to hit them...

To be continued..

Well, sunday morning came and AJTIV and I wake up about 6am to the aftermath of saturday night.... We sneek out and pack up and head out before most of the denizons awake to meet Mudhook at 7:30 at Chapel Pond...

Looking to be a great day, the morning fog wasn't as bad as saturday and I knew it was going to be a special day as far as the weather goes. We get about a 7:45am start after the short car spot... Nobody else is in the parking lot in New Russia and we sign in the first of the day... Up the trail we go.... Nice pine duff and I manage to spot a small black bear running up the hill.

The climb here is pretty gradual, a nice warm up and it's soooo not rocky unlike the Roaring Brook trail up Giant or even from Chapel Pond.... Eventually we hit blueberries and that slows us down a bit... A lot of the forest reminds me of the the Gunks in terms of the rock slabs with the low bush blueberries... The conifers of say the Catskills and the views are spectacular as we go up Blueberrie Cobbles.... Strangely enough we see blackberries and even some wild rasperries, more than blueberries at this point, but the blueberries would get bigger as we get up in elevation.

Bald Mtn is a nice rest for us as we can make out the ridge up ahead and great views on both sides and the valley where Rt 9 goes through... Hurricane Mt firetowers and Belfry Mtn firetowers are visible as well as the Champlain valley and the Northway peaks itself out. You can even see the crazy Rt9/Rt73 intersection at one point. Lake Mary Louise is a nice spot with the camp spot before it, looks like a nice spot.... a bit buggy though.

After numerous stops for Blueberries, to make a long trip short, 12:45pm we get to RPR..Wooohoooooo. We eat lunch and enjoy the wonderful day and we even look over at Hurricane to see if we can see any sleepy hikers since we heard rumors that some folks were going to hike that the same day... On RPR, we could see people hiking up Giant, near the junction of the trail just below the summit....

We run into a guy who tagged the summit and immediately started back.... Odd... Later we would see him by the Washbowl on our way out as he decided to go up to Giant again! Good for you!

Giant was fun, the first time all day we ran into a small crowd, I pointed out peaks for folks who wanted to know where Marcy was and showed them Whiteface, etc...

Down was a fast trailrun down..ice cream calls... Got out to the car and we drove down to the Stewarts for some ice cream... $1.99 sundae specials...yummmmmmmm....

http://picasaweb.google.com/cycleslug/RPR_Giant81207

This is not the end of a journey but the beginning of a new one...

To quote some famous Canadians...

"The point of the journey is not to arrive."

Had a blast, I guess I'll eventually finish the NH48 and of course, winter beckons...

Thanks to all the other silly hikers out there that share the same infliction, the doctor is in but there is no cure..:D

See ya on the trails...

Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cycleslug/RPR_Giant81207

Jay

Congrats Jay! And welcome to the club. I can say I at least was on a few with you in the ADKs (I think 11), many more in the Cats and even some out West. Now, what about those last few winter 46ers?

Take Care, - Ed

Congrats, Jay! Nice accomplishment for a "silly hiker." ;) What do you have left in NH to do?

Roxi said:
What do you have left in NH to do?

Oh, I have pretty much everything in the Presidentials except the big boys on the Presi Range (as I've done the pressie traverse twice)... and I need everything in the pemis other than the Bondcliffs ridge and Galehead. I really want to do the Franconia Ridge Traverse someday...

Chip said:
Time for new hobby ?

I dunno, since starting the ADKs, I've picked up kayaking, bike touring, bike commuting, XC skiing, mountaineering and another little thing.. home ownership.
:eek:

Guinness: We must wait til winter! :)

Jay

Congrats (publicly!) Great sport that carries special memories from every outing!

I think I was out with you on several outings... but you didn't know it as you just plain hike tooooo fast! :D