Our 4 month old daughter's first hike...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions from some of you who have taken your very little one hiking. I'm looking to go to the Whites for a moderate hike with my 4-month-old daughter. I plan on taking her in her snugli (frontal baby carrier.) Any trail recommendations or trail tips would be greatly appreciated!

Go for something gentle on all of you...

As a veteran of carrying small children for up to a mile at a stretch on numerous hikes... I would advise going for something easy on all of you. Obviously, you want to avoid open slippery rock ledges, and probably anything with extended, trippy, rough, rooty sections, at least till you have a sense of how you do together.

One easy trail I have done recently (amounts to a "walk in the woods" for the most part) is Greeley Ponds Trail from the Waterville end (Lincoln side is steeper and rougher). You get a nice walk in the woods, a beautiful view, and nothing too strenuous. Another option might be something like Sabbaday Falls or Lincoln Woods.

Chances are, at four months, she's like luggage without a handle and, as long as you avoid anything rough that might result in a trip-and-fall, you will both have a great time -- you get to be close, she gets constant motion and visual stimulation. Have fun!

Other easy hikes are Diana's Bath, Aruthusa Falls (highest waterfall in NH), and Ripley Falls for waterfalls, and Black Cap, Lost Pond trail (AT), and possibly Mt. Willard.
My boys first hike was his grandfather's last, Lost Pond trail, when he was 6 months old, which has easy access from Pinkham to a nice pond and is pretty much flat. Black Cap is the easiest trail for the view, and Ripley Falls is hard to beat, especially after a good rain. Avoid Diana's Bath on the weekend.
The snugglies are great as they stay nice and warm next to you. Have fun, both of you.

I found that when I day hiked in the Whites with my kids it wasn't the trail that bothered them but the drive up and back. 2-3 hours in a car after a hike wasn't the thing the kids wanted. Just something to think about.
-brianW

The HP for RI is less than 1 hour from you. It's a short hike. I second the comment about the car ride. Keep it close to home and you will both be happier. I recommend picking up the guidebook: Hiking in Southern New England. I'd sell you mine, but it is packed away somewhere....

-percious

Thanks to all for the advice. We ended up going to lower Greeley Pond.

It was a nice trip for the girls and myself. The trail is very gradual with much along the way to keep ones interest (i.e. lots of bridge crossings.) This would be a great first hike in the Whites for a 4 or 5yo.

My dog loved the pond.

The car ride was not a problem, as our girl is used to travlin'! We left home early in the morning while she was still sleeping, and she was pretty well konked out on the ride home.

I hope that this is the first of many hikes as a family.

My votes

I would agree to the Diana's Baths ... good walk in the woods with some uphill, easy going and great water views.
Have also done Willard and it has some great views for minimal work.
Maybe up Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Crystal Cascade - not too bad with a very small one. Great falls view!
Flume Gorge maybe?
Always good at Sabbaday Falls too.
Little known - Jackson Falls would be good too, though not really hiking as opposed to walking around.
-TrekMan