Carrigain and the Captain, pt. II

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmoose

Reaction score
(continued from pt. 1, an earlier post)

Erin and I left the Carrigain tower around 8:30 and followed paths west through Carrigain's little camping area. Then I charged ahead, beginning our bushwhack through enjoyable open woods. After a quarter mile or so, having dropped down 400 feet, we stopped. Normally upbeat Erin wasn't smiling. Captain... we have a problem. A father knows his daughter, and I could see this kind of hiking wasn't for her. Given the open woods we'd gone through so far, it would be crazy for her to continue down into what would probably only get worse.
We had a long discussion. I was ready to reverse course, but she insisted on my continuing on toward the Captain while she went back up solo. She had a book, she said, the radio, and her tent was still set up. I was worried about her bushwhacking back up by herself, but if she simply stayed with the ridge and followed a 70 degree bearing, she'd be fine.
Reluctantly, I bid her adieu and headed down while she headed up. I was a worried father for awhile, but the lure of the Captain took over.
As I neared the col, I kept waiting for a sea of blowdown or thick woods. There were a few tight spots, but nothing to suggest "ordeal."
Below and to the right I could make out Carrigain Pond, which I'd hoped to visit; but not today. Having left Erin up above, I didn't want to take the extra time. I crossed the wide col- amazingly, still no problems - and was soon climbing the steep east side of the Captain. One small cliff intervened, but moose tracks led me to a notch, and I pulled my way up. Soon I found myself on top and began pushing through the trees, wondering how I'd find the high point of this flat topped summit. I happened upon a high spot, but found no canister. Then, a little farther to the west, there it was! The BIG ROCK, as noted in various other trip reports. This is a really large erratic, oblong in shape, maybe ten feet long and seven feet high, with scrub and small trees growing on top. I found a way to scramble up and was surprised to find a jar hung from a spindly tree. Reportedly there are canisters sprinkled over the Captain's summit, but none on this rock, although most agree this is the high point.
The jar was the usual issue, complete with rusted lid, hung by nylon cord.
The small notebook inside was saturated, but the few entries were legible.
The first page indicated the jar was hung by Bill Bowden back on 8/29/98.
John Swanson signed in on 3/13/99, the Captain being the New Jerseyite's final winter New Hampshire Hundred Hundred Highest.
And Roy Schweiker scribbled in 9/21/03 that he'd come from the Carrigain side, as I had.
And no on had signed in since, over the course of four years.
Had all the Captain's other visitors signed other canisters/jars without climbing this rock, the obvious high point, and signing this jar? Mystery....

Climbing back up Carrigain, I again had few problems with blowdown or thick spruce. At 1:15 I found Erin at the tower, by herself, gazing over the distant peaks. Amazingly, we had the mountain to ourselves on this fine, albeit chilly summer Sunday. By now the view was spectacular - although Washington was still obscured by clouds.

As we descended, I replayed the bushwhack in my mind. Instead of the horror show others have experienced reaching the Captain from the southeast or north, I had myself a nice little hike, although climbing Carrigain first might not be be everyone. For me, though, this turned out to be one of the more enoyable bushwhacks I've undertaken. I just regret I did it solo.

What to do next year? How about Owl's head? Erin's never been there, just seen it from the distance on the pemi loop. And I've never reached the true top, I guess ... it's farther north,now. Our '08 plan is in the works....

pix ... www.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/jtbigmoose/

Last edited:
Nice! I've told people that if I ever go to the Captain area again it'll be this route. I was surprised (as you were) how pleasant it was going from the cliff area up to Carrigain. However, around the pond is more thick spruce stuff.

Nice trip report. Your picture link, however, is not working.

-Dr. Wu

bigmoose said:
Had all the Captain's other visitors signed other canisters/jars without climbing this rock, the obvious high point, and signing this jar? Mystery....
I can only speak for two. They probably found another canister (which has the remaining entries) and backtracked as soon as they could since they were already soaked and since it was already 8PM on the summit. They would have to whack in the dark so they waisted no time :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed trip report. This is one of the few remaining peaks I have left on the NHHH list. I am heartened to hear that the Captain is not as daunting as many have made it out to be.

I have decided that I will either climb Carrigain before or after I have summited the Captain. Probably the Captain first via the southeast valley route, so I can look forward to smoother sailing after I find the summit. I just prefer loop hikes, especially when the going gets thick - I always find it hard to motivate myself to retrace my steps through really thick stuff, unless I can follow my own footprints in the snow.