Basin and Saddleback: winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard that a Red headed moose might be snow-whacking in there that weekend. But he usually would just hike in to the camp in the dark and be breaking trail up before you kids get there. :)
:D

Last edited:
Brian,

ADKDREMN wanted me to remind you that his Brother In Law is coming. He just has to send you the funds which will be sent out soon.

Also Hitched Hiker is coming and your money will be in the mail this week.

Thanks,
Adam

updated list

Spencer (peak_bgr) + Madeline
Ron (rtspoons) - paid + Rob Wright - paid
Nancy (high on life) - paid
Adam (1adam12) - paid + Andy (adkdremn) - paid
Andy's brother in law + Hitched Hiker
Mimi
JohnK
Alistair
Brian (bushwacker)

thats 13 of us. haven't heard from john or alistair lately.
so if you're still planning on coming let me know soon.

Almost time......

About three weeks left and we will be climbing our first winter peaks of the season :cool: At least me anyways.

So here is my question (s)

Are we all going to bring food and share or is it fend for yourself? Either way is fine with me. Also what time will most of you be coming in on Friday? I should be there early to mid afternoon hopfully.

Cant wait!!!!!!

Food

We are talking about two dinners probably. Unless someone wants to organize the menu, it will probably be easier to bring what you like for yourself.

It is my understanding, check-in is 12 noon, and pots, dishes, etc. are available at the cabin.

Brian will need to get the combination to the door so we can enter. So we need to coordinate with him for your arrival.

We still have time to get food organized. I am bringing toadstools and grasshopper soup. Does anyone want to volunteer as food director?

How about spaghetti one night? We can supply the spaghetti.

can anyone bring a large boiling pot?

Brian can you see if dad will make a batch of homemade sauce?

Who wants to bring garlic bread?

Ideas for day 2?

Breakfast/lunch should be left up to individuals.

Last edited:
peak_bgr said:
We still have time to get food organized. I am bringing toadstools and grasshopper soup. Does anyone want to volunteer as food director? What are we looking at 14 people?

How about spaghetti one night? We can supply the spaghetti.

can anyone bring a large boiling pot?

Brian can you see if dad will make a batch of homemade sauce?

Who wants to bring garlic bread?

Ideas for day 2?

Breakfast/lunch should be left up to individuals.

If we do Spaghetti the first night I will bring the meatballs. You have to have meatballs with Pasta. :D We can cook them seperate in case there are any vegetarians among us ;)

Also there are a few people that do not have a membership here on VFTT so maybe we should do the organizing through e-mail or include this over on ADKHIGHPEAKS as well. Hitched Hiker and ADKDREMN are members there but not overe here :)

I think that everyone should fend for themselves as far as food is concerned. Everyone will be finishing hikes and ready to eat at different times. I'd hate to see someone arrive home late and have no meat balls left for them.

I plan to hike in early Friday morning, drop my big pack on the Peggy O' porch and then climb Lower Wolfjaw (maybe by the Bennies Brook slide).

If you guys keep talking about food like spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread, you might have some unsavory characters coming out of the woods (like ME !--but I'd have to bring some beer)

I will be arrivng on friday, mid day or so. Saturday it's Haystack, Basin to Saddleback. Then more than likely down Chicken Coop Brook via the slide, hopefully. If we go up Chicken Coop Brook under an unbroken layer of snow we will never make it to Haystack in a day. There is a ton of snow up there right now. If we don't get a little warming a cooling and get a base developed in the next couple weeks, we could potentially be fighting 3 feet of snow up high. Going down would also be a blast. Glissading, butt sliding, bouncing over cliffs, slamming into spruce trees, who could ask for more.

Oh, I'm packing a bottle of crown to help warm the insides.

Remember this is a 3.5 mile hike into the cabin. Rather mellow. Tow a sled and bring the little extras.

Thoughts??

food, toad stools, and grasshoppers

Sounds like we can plan on eating together on Friday at least, for those who want to participate. If someone will summarize a list for Friday's dinner the other people who would like to participate can chime in.

So far someone will try to bring homemade sauce, I heard pasta (depends of the number of people involved), and meatballs.

We need a large pot for pasta....

I can bring a couple loaves of Italian bread from the local bakery, some butter, and garlic for the bread.

Sounds like there's going to be enough boiling pots there. I will bring an extra just in case.

I have the spaghetti, enough for all.

Brian's bringing the sauce and I do mean spaghetti sauce

As for the other sauce, I have a bottle of single malt, I'm going to bring in to share. Maybe as an additive to coffee as well.

I'm also bringing green tea bags. Actually the bags aren't green, I hope.

Sounds like we have the garlic bread and meatballs covered as well.

Maybe someone can bring some cheese and fresh fruit

Other than that if we eat anymore we won't be able to move.

Weathers calling for 24 inches in Lake Placid which is 1800 feet. We will be pushing through some killer snow, pray for some consolidation.

Andy (ADKDREMN) on the other forum said he would bring Cheese and Fruit. He should be a member here shortly long with Hitched Hiker. Like I said before I will bring Meatballs.

Just our of curiosity??????? Do we have any vegetarians in the group? So do we all plan on doing Hay, S&B or are we going to split up? I am a slow hiker compared to all of you and I dont want to ruin anyones trip cause I am holding them back. I will start off hiking Haystack but I might bail after the peak or send the rest of the group on a head. I dont want to ruin Spencers big finish ;)

Adam

I wish it was my big finish. But, I think you have me mistaken for some other tall, dark, handsome guy. :eek:

Anyhow, we can cellebrate like it was after if you want. You guys can wait on me hand and foot, refill my beer, get mea new one when the old one gets warm. WAIT-no it is my big finish. Adam thanks for reminding me.

How exciting, first ever post here on the famous VFTT! ;)
Since Highonlife beat me to the cheese I'll bring some fresh fruit, how does apples, oranges and bananas sound? Any requests?
Any thoughts on a dinner for Sat night or are we fending for ourselves?
One other question, how warm/cold is the cabin gonna be? Just wondering if I need to bring my winter bag or just a lightweight one.
I'm really looking forward to this, so far looks like it's gonna be a good winter!

Last edited:
cabin has a heater, so it should be pretty warm.
Friday night we will be having spaghetti, and it sounds like a lot of extras.
as for saturday nights dinner, it will be fend for yourselves.
some might be back from climbing earlier than others, so it will be easier that way.

i'll be getting in around 5 on friday night, so spencer will have the combination since he'll be in earlier. we'll be climbing haystack, basin and saddleback on saturday.