Smarts Mtn Daniel Doan Trail-advice?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
Smarts Mtn Daniel Doan Trail-advice?(done/comments below)

Hi--I'm thinking of doing this on Monday. Has anybody used this approach lately? Is the 1.0 miles on the Quinttown Rd (which turns south from Jacobs Brook Rd at the Quinttown Crossing) passable to the trailhead? Nate mentioned the DD Trail wasn't well signed/blazed down low-any real problems here?--thanks---jim

Last edited:
I used it to descend a few years ago, and it is not the typically manicured and signed White Mountain trail. The upper part was hard to follow, and basically it was a streambed for much of the way. It was wet that summer; the trail was quite squishy. Overall, however, not that difficult although I can think of much nicer ways of doing Smarts.

I think there has be a lot of work on this trail recently.
I found this from a post by Hillwalker:

"Glad you enjoyed the hike. On Saturday I replaced three panes of glass (plexi) on the tower and five in the old Ranger's cabin. Hope they were still in place. I had a devil of a time keeping the east facing pane in place. The wind on Saturday kept pushing the pane back into the tower while the caulking was still fluid. I also put new window screens in two of the five cabin windows. Had to haul out many pounds of abandoned trash out at the end of the day. Two full trash bags tied to my packboard. That always jacks my jaws. Next time you go up use the "J" Trail from Quintown Road. A very mellow walk with no steep ascent at the end like Lamberts. Also, if you park at the last major intersection on Quintown road you can use the recently cleared and blazed (blue) Daniel Doan trail and the "J" trail for a really nice loop hike. The DD trail is the fastest way up to the summit of Smart's. To get to the DD trail, take the road (Mousley Brook) to the right, follow it keeping right until it reaches a closed gate. Park there and walk the road past a private residence and watch for new blue blazes and orange DOC signs."

Hope that helps.

Questions?

Any other questions? I will be on line from time to time today. I blazed that trail in June, and brushed it out with the Doane family a few days prior. It should be in good shape with no blowdowns. I would appreciate a trip report after you finish since it is one of the three trails that I monitor and maintain. Since the spring just below the summit is dry right now, a report on approximately where you begin to run into usable water on the DD trail would be appreciated by the thru hikers.

So, if you have the time, just append your report right to this thread.

Tnx, TomW

Hillwalker--did the DD Trail yesterday-after you go 1.8 miles down the Quinttown Rd(signed) form Rt 25A, the right turn onto Mousley Brook is obvious; then just make sure you stay right for about 0.8 miles to gates and park just before them--you want the left road/gate for your hike--(note:there is NO Jacobs Brook Rd as mentioned in the WMG nor do the roads after turn onto MB Road match what you find in Google maps)-a nice walk in the woods--trail still pretty clean even after recent storms, nothing that caused me to break stride--i pulled some small limbs/trees off the trail, but there are more and there's one about 2.5 miles? that'll need a saw--i would not rely on Murphy's Spring up high for water--very iffy--last reliable water seemed to be the brook about 10-15 minutes after you cross it going up--thanks for your work--also slipped over and did Ascutney then Monadnock(this AM, my first visit)--was fortunate on Monad early today to be first and only on top with decent views--tuff to find car camping spots in S VT/NH ---jim

Last edited: