Pole recommendation?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
I left my Trek'R 3 hiking poles at the Tahawus register last Wednesday (8/22/07) and they were gone when we returned Thursday with our fingers crossed... Darn, I liked those poles, had been hundreds of miles with them (including the LT), and they're not produced any more.

Recommendations for replacements from the VFTT group, please? I REALLY like having the rubber feet; that's what attracted me to the Tracks/Trek'R 3 poles in the first place. And I don't think I want shock absorbers. Campmor markets a Leki-made pair (3-section, 19 oz/pair) for which rubber feet are available, for only $60.

I have 2 pairs of Leki's and a pair of Black Diamond Terra CF's. The Leki's are much stronger poles. I bought the BD's because of the flick-lock adjustment which is great, however what they call their "binary lock" for the lower section is a real weak point. This lock consists of a split in the top of the lower shaft section which allows the resulting 'ears' to flex with pins which lock into the middle section in holes made for this. If you jam a pole and apply any kind of real torque the poles snap at this weak point like twigs.

While Black Diamond did repair the pole for me, I'd rather have poles that I can rely on 100%.

So my vote would be for the Leki's.

Kevin

I have a pair of Black Diamond poles and they are great! I went through two sets of Leki poles. The twist lock mechanism on the Lekis is terrible. The flicklock on the BD on the other hand is bomb proof. I don't know about the "binary" adjustment on the bottom of the BD pole though, I don't have that on mine.

I really beat up my poles. I wore through the carbide tips on my BD poles and now have rubber tips duct taped to the bottom.

kmorgan said:
I bought the BD's because of the flick-lock adjustment which is great, however what they call their "binary lock" for the lower section is a real weak point.
Kevin
The Alpine CF has the Flick-Lock on both sections, no Binary lock. I did not like the Binary System either.

Kevin

For most purchases, I've always believed in buying quality. Usually, the extra bucks you spend come back to you in the long term. I've never found this to be true with hiking poles tho.

I've got a pair of cheapo poles that I've been using for > 5 years now and they still "work" as well as ever. I think Lahouts in Lincoln sells poles for $15 - check 'em out next time you're up there.

bob

Looks like yet another rendition of the periodically reoccurring "what is the best hiking pole" thread. Search and you will find the topic beaten to death multiple times.

Bottom line: there are devotees of both twist lock (eg Leki) and Flick-lock (BD) poles. They both work well.

My poles are Leki Makalus (twist lock) with straight handles, the shock absorbers turned off, and the mini-baskets removed because they catch in the underbrush. They have lasted a long time and I am happy with them. I use 3 section poles (telescope smaller for carrying) for hiking and 2 section poles with snow baskets for skiing. Others appear to be just as happy with bent handles, shock absorbers, mini-baskets, and/or flick-lock adjustments.

See Pete's Pole Pages http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm for a good tutorial on how to use them.

Doug

Last edited:
onestep said:
Black Diamond Flicklock... bomb proof!

ditto - these have been perfect - I ahve busted up two different kinds of EMS (Komperdell) poles - they took care of it both times, but who needs the hassle...the flick locks really work well - I had a lot of trouble with the twist ones...they often gave out when you needed it most.

werdigo49 said:
I left my Trek'R 3 hiking poles at the Tahawus register last Wednesday (8/22/07) and they were gone when we returned Thursday with our fingers crossed... Darn, I liked those poles, had been hundreds of miles with them (including the LT), and they're not produced any more.

Recommendations for replacements from the VFTT group, please? I REALLY like having the rubber feet; that's what attracted me to the Tracks/Trek'R 3 poles in the first place. And I don't think I want shock absorbers. Campmor markets a Leki-made pair (3-section, 19 oz/pair) for which rubber feet are available, for only $60.
I checked out those poles at Campmor and they look like just the ticket, and very reasonable for Leki's.

I've had Leki's, Komperdells, Black Diamond, Walmart, no-names ... and Leki's are the best value. For me, the locking mechanism is the most troublesome, and while BD's is good, it's easy to find other replacement parts for Leki's, like tips and baskets. Sometimes BD's use Leki parts, but not always.

Get the Leki's under the Campmor label.

Leki Super Makalu's hands down. They're pricey but I've had mine for over 3 years now with not many signs of wear. Before that I had a pair of Komperdell's and they would get bent out of shape after every hike.

I justified the pricey poles to my wife by saying they would be much cheaper then physiotherapy.

-Shayne

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I stopped by the local REI store this morning and looked at their Lekis, Black Diamonds. and their own REI brand made by Klomperdell.

In your experience, is the Twist-lock Leki mechanism secure? I don't expect to change the length very often, so cumbersomeness with gloves, etc., isn't much of an issue for me. Does it just rely on friction between the pole sections, as it seems to me?

Despite advice to the contrary, I sometimes put considerable weight on the poles when descending small rock faces. I was confident of the snap-button system on the Trek'R 3's, and Campmor actually has a Leki-made pair with snap-button length adjustment. No doubt the infinite adjustment of the Twist-lock is desirable, but will it really hold weight?

werdigo49 said:
No doubt the infinite adjustment of the Twist-lock is desirable, but will it really hold weight?

I'm 240lbs and I put a ton of weight on my Leki Super Makalus. They've performed like champs. I put the same amount of weight on my old Komperdell's and they were always bent out of shape.

-Shayne

Will they hold weight? I'd have to say, based upon my experience, they tend to slip LESS than other similar friction locks, but they will slip occasionally, and often at the wrong time. Right now I mostly use Leki Makalu's (not the Super as I don't like the spongy shock absorber style).

I also noticed the 2 section poles at Campmor's had a snap-button system. Of the two, I'd say the snap-button is less likely to slip. It's probably also more likely to ice-up in winter, making adjustment more difficult, but that's only an educated guess on my part.

Of the various friction-type locking mechanisms, I think BD's is the least likely to slip. It compresses a band around an inner pole rather than expand an inner mechanism, and in my experience is quite secure, BUT - you have to check that the screw on the BD is sufficiently tight. I'd had one fall out on me, and then you're sunk. I would use the BD's more but the pole tips aren't replaceable - you have to replace the entire lower section - and that's pricey. So, I reserve them for snow and ice travel where the tips don't wear down as rapidly.

I own Komperdell, Leki and Black Diamond. The Black Diamond are terrific, I was constantly having to retighten the Komperdell and Leki poles. They often slipped when I wanted them to be secure. The Black Diamond, as many have said, never slip. You wan to be able to depend on your poles those times when you really need them.

werdigo49 said:
In your experience, is the Twist-lock Leki mechanism secure? I don't expect to change the length very often, so cumbersomeness with gloves, etc., isn't much of an issue for me. Does it just rely on friction between the pole sections, as it seems to me?
Yes, it is secure with a small amount of maintenance.

* Obviously, you have to tighten the twist-locks adequately.

* And you have to clean and lubricate the mechanisms occasionally. Grit collects on the inside of the tubes and needs to be cleaned out. Also the locking mechanism (a tapered metal screw into a plastic expansion nut) works much better if lubricated--a tiny dab of silicone grease on the threads will do it. (DON'T get any on the outside of the expansion nut or on the inside of the tubes.) Replacement expansion nuts are readily available for Leki poles.

Yes it is held by friction. So is Flick-Lock. Only button-lock mechanisms do not use friction, but the holes collect dirt, water, and ice and weaken the shafts.

I alter the length of my poles frequently. Longer for downhill, medium for level, shorter for uphill, uneven for traversing, collapsed when they are in the way (for instance on steep terrain where I want to use my hands directly on the rock), etc. See my link to Pete's Pole Pages.

Doug

Kevin Rooney said:
Of the various friction-type locking mechanisms, I think BD's is the least likely to slip. It compresses a band around an inner pole rather than expand an inner mechanism, and in my experience is quite secure, BUT - you have to check that the screw on the BD is sufficiently tight. I'd had one fall out on me, and then you're sunk. I would use the BD's more but the pole tips aren't replaceable - you have to replace the entire lower section - and that's pricey. So, I reserve them for snow and ice travel where the tips don't wear down as rapidly.
A friend once brought a pair of BD poles--the lock was so tight that neither of us was unable to release it. Presumably any friction locking mechanism can be set so tight that it is difficult to release.

The Leki poles have carbide tips on a short (easily replaceable) breakaway section. Pole tips like to wedge between rocks and are easy to break off. The plastic section is easy and cheap to replace. I have also developed a reflex that if I feel a wedged tip, I yank up quickly before I have moved beyond the tip and broken it off. (And yes, you generally want to use the wrist loops, so it is hard to release the pole without warning.)

Doug

DougPaul said:
A friend once brought a pair of BD poles--the lock was so tight that neither of us was unable to release it. Presumably any friction locking mechanism can be set so tight that it is difficult to release.

Doug

The BD's locking mechanism has a small cam to increase the tension. It's possible to overtighten the screw so that when the cam snaps in place - it's tough to reverse with your fingers. You'll need a slot screwdriver to act as a lever to get it off.